Where are people obtaining quality ETA rotor bearings?

Hi

I currently own three ETA watches, all with excessive rotor bearing play. 2 x ETA 2836's (a TImefactors PRS-1 Speedbird which I have worn regularly since I purchased it new 19 years ago and one which came as part of the Timezone watch school Level 2 course from about the same time). I have also recently obtained a watch with a 2824-2 which I bought second hand on eBay.

As a simple home hobbyist owning three ETA movements, each with excessive bearing play, it seems to me that this must be a commonly replaced component.

SInce Swatch made their decision to restrict ETA parts to the general community, and given the huge amount of 2824 and 2836 watches out there, I was wondering where independent repairers are obtaining all the high quality replacement bearings which must be needed each year?

I've seen a Swiss company which will sell me their version for £4.50 - £5.50 each but have a minimum order of 20, and want £100 to ship a 100 gram package to the UK, and then there is the VAT and Duty to go on top.

As I believe the bearing is the same for the 2824 and 2836, I'm inclined to give in and buy three chinese 2824 rotors with bearings on eBay for £2.50 each,  remove the bearings and throw the rotors then see if I can get a few years out of them, however, this seems a ridiculous position to be in when you are willing to use quality and genuine Swiss parts, but just have no economical way of obtaining them.  

Anyone?

Edited by Vacheron7

7 hours ago, Vacheron7 said:

SInce Swatch made their decision to restrict ETA parts to the general community, and given the huge amount of 2824 and 2836 watches out there, I was wondering where independent repairers are obtaining all the high quality replacement bearings which must be needed each year?

This is an often asked question.There is no magic secret place, we all on an this forum buy on the same places available to you and anyone else: Search Internet, material-houses which sell online, Ebay.

I've seen a Swiss company which will sell me their version for £4.50 - £5.50 each but have a minimum order of 20, and want £100 to ship a 100 gram package to the UK, and then there is the VAT and Duty to go on top.

Looks like you have found a good source already, I guess you could sell these 10 pounds each if guaranteed quality, and work out pre-paid shipping. Pays for your need and gas money.

As I believe the bearing is the same for the 2 24 and 2836, I'm inclined to give in and buy three chinese 2824 rotors with bearings on eBay for £2.50 each,  remove the bearings and throw the rotors then see if I can get a few years out of them

I suppose you've never handled Chinese call bearings. Below the expected performance, good luck getting 5 seconds from an average Chinese one. Assuming they will fit, which is not a given.

• Like 1

Thanks JDM.  Guess there is no secret Illuminati source then.  :)

The swiss ones are definately the most appealing, but by the time I add the vat the duty and the shipping, plus say eBay selling fees and postage I'd have to selling the 17 I don''t need for about £15 each just to break even. 

Thanks for the vid. A stark visual indication if ever there was one

I think I may get one of the £3 ones out of curiosity just to do that test!