Illinois 18S Grade 2 Pocket Watch

Hi there to you all I hope you are all keeping safe and well, Can anyone help me with a small problem I have with an Illinois 18S Grade 2 Pocket Watch.Does anyone know how to remove the cannon pinion from the center wheel arbor.It looks like the square that is for hand setting is larger than the dia of the center wheel arbor so I cannot remove the cannon pinion as normal?? Also the center wheel arbor has quite a bit of endshake  so is it possible to tighten this by using my staking set or is there some special way of removing the cannon pinion.Any help would be gratefully received,Many thanks keep safe,Regards,Seth.

• Like 1

the problem with American pocket watches without pictures is too many variations. That's why a picture would be helpful.

or we could find their own pictures so it looks like your standard key wind keys set.  then unhelpful sort of parts book that's because in the early days the center wheel could be ordered separate without the arbor. Or you could buy it with the arbor and you'll note it's missing of the pinion as I'm guessing this is one that can unscrew. But the center wheel looks standard which means the Canon pinion should pull off but it still be nice to have a picture.

Then I don't quite understand the end shake issue which is why picture would be needed.

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/guide/company/illinois/images?filterSize=18&filterJewels=all&filterMovementSetting=all&filterModels=2

center wheel model 2 Illinois.JPG

• Like 1

Hi there to all,I have managed to get the cannon pinion off the centre wheel Arbor  with a pin vice and it appears that the cannon pinion was not pushed onto the Arbor far enough as now there seems to be hardly any endshake in the centre wheel.Once again many thanks for all your help and replies,Regards Seth.

IMG_20200518_092118490_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200518_092902067_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200518_122234190.jpg

1 hour ago, clockboy said:

As I suspected this is not the usual canon pinion set up. This is a key set watch but not sure how to canon achieves its friction.

It is just friction tight. Some of the old fusee P/W's are the same. The cannon pinion can be a sod to remove. 

• Like 2

Hi there all,Many thanks for all of your help and replies,As you have said the cannon pinion was a devil to get off but now it's off I can finally strip the movement ready for cleaning whilst I am waiting for a replacement mainspring to arrive.Once again many many thanks for all your help and replies,keep safe,Regards to all,Seth.