citizen 42-8035 windsurfer help

Hey, my dad has the citizen 42-8035 windsurfer. I was going to begin using it daily and he went to get a new battery last night. He changed the battery and set the watch, but whenever the mode button or light button are hit the entire display goes blank and then the time resets to 12:00. Any help or ideas is/are much appreciated!

IMG952364.jpg

Being a windsurfer, and despite not understanding most of what's on the dial, I've always wanted one of those.

Was there any evidence that the battery leaked/salted when he got the back off? It doesn't take a lot to mess things up. And if the watch has been sitting over 2-3 years or so, it becomes more likely. Otherwise, maybe there's a reset button that has to be engaged once the battery is changed out. I'm not familiar with the movement to say on way or the other.

Good luck.

He didn't mention any corrosion or damage. It has sat for well over that amount of time though. I'll double check with him on whether or not there is a reset button. He's able to set the time/date but as soon as he hits the light or the mode button, it goes blank and resets.