Question - Longines pocket watch extract movement

Hello Forum,

This is my new project, to service a 50 years old Longines pocket watch in very nice condition.

I opened the case back but do not understand how I can extract the movement - it might be necessary to open the front but, as you can see from the pictures, it is very slim and I don't see any space where to start opening the front and removing the glass ... so, before messing up I thought aboit looking for advice here :)

Thank you in advance and a happy Sunday to you all 

IMG_3013.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_3014.jpg

It comes out from the front. First you need to remove the button and stem by un-screwing the little screw here (see green) It looks like a place here (see red) to insert a case knife here. You need to look around the case and the bezel to see the best place  

IMG_3014.thumb.jpg.b599f7b3da4c1c6e2973100fbc05fa63.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg.247b2eeb21acedb8e05214ab9c117aee.jpg

• Like 1

Made some progress, finished stripping the movement, but have another doubt:

- I wanted to clean and lubricate the mainspring as per Mark's course - however, as you can see in the pics attached, there are some markings in the barrel ("Sealed Unit") so I'm not sure if I should proceed with the "standard" barrel opening, mainspring cleaning and lubricating despite these markings ?

Apologies if it is a dumb question ... and thank you for your help !

ps: as per forum's etiquette is it ok to ask such a different question here on should I start a new thread ?

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

It is OK to open it and clean. You won't do any harm. Years ago you would just replace it with a new unit, the same thing with old Seiko movements, Seiko recommended you to replace the sealed unit I think every 5 years. These days replacements can't be found so you take it apart and clean the whole unit.   

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Wear protective gogles when you attempt removing the mainspring.

Wise words, also take note of the direction it is wound in. Preferably with a photo. This will save the irritation of winding it back in, in the wrong direction. Don't ask me how I nkow. :P

Thank you very much  @Nucejoe and @AndyHull for your advices, greatly appreciated !

I didn't thought of using protective googles and realized after reading you how foolish it was of me  ! 

And yes, indeed, I'm always struggling to find the correct direction - even with the photos ! :biggrin:

So, basically I managed to open the barrel, clean the mainspring, oil it, rewind it using my mainspring winder ... only to find out that due to the "T" ending it is impossible to correctly replace the mainspring in the barrel ... I've read another thread here where Mark recommends to do it manually - not sure I'm ready (nor able!) yet to do it, so trying to find a new barrel. But it was fun seeing I was able to go through all the steps like in the online lesson :)

Thanks again

• Like 1