longines

gary17

hi

I'm working on a longines .caliber 23zs. It was not working and i noticed if you moved it the balance would start and the hands revolved until the second hand reached number 5 where it was catching. To cut a long story short i have removed the hands and refitted them and there going fine. But when i went to reset the hands nothing. I pulled he crown out to the position to move the hour and minute hands and there nothing happening. it turns freely but the hands don't.The crown has now come off as well but that screws back on though it seems loose. I have cleaned the stem and examined it to the best of my knowledge and it seems fine. It slides in and out when i release the screw holding it into the movement. I have tried to download docs from cousins but they only show dial diameter. 

I have also googled it but there's not a lot out there.Not what i need anyway.

I'm just wondering have i missed something obvious that should have been done..

Any advice gratefully accepted.

cheers

gary

IMG_20190820_232749.jpg

IMG_20190820_232756.jpg

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Hello from the Mid-Atlantic United States. I've been in the hobby for a few months and have concluded that I will be staying in it for a while. I've started to get some proper tools and I am looking forward to developing some skills. My current goal is to get comfortable enough to service / repair some watches I've inherited from family members.  My current project is a Mentor pendent watch with a BF866 movement that belonged to my great aunt.
    • Success! The watch is working, albeit not perfectly. I need to install a new mainspring. It only runs about 16 hours. Still, it's my first cleaning and rebuild. I bought it from the original owner's son on eBay! The other one was bought at a flea market. I needed both to complete the project. The model with a seconds hand had soldered watch band pins and I couldn't drill tiny holes so I used the flea market Waldan, which was nearly a perfect match. I also replated the case with nickel, but the result was subpar. It's never as easy as it looks.
    • Thanks guys. It's a Seawolf 10ATM pre spring bezel. The case knife stressed me a bit, but eventually got it off and cleaned - nearly seventy years of grime.  Thanks.  Cheers John
    • Exactly. This is a pic of the hairspring I'm working on. My horizontal v vertical rates are all over the place. There is no discernible terminal curve. My problem is that the outer coil is (possibly) hitting the regulator pin. It's hard to tell but it looks to be getting very close. Also getting close to the stud, which could be @VWatchie's problem. You can see that I need to adjust the inner coil to centre the collet. That will hopefully solve the problem. But then I'll take the spring off and attach it to the cock to see how it looks.   I don't know if it's causing your problem @VWatchie, but I would say your inner coil looks like this  
    • Welcome to the forum.