Jump to content
deaconj999

Newbie from South Wales, UK

Recommended Posts

Hi Oldhippy,

Thanks for the advice the dims are 17.5mm and 2.5mm and the arbour has a notch and a square/rectangular peg on it for the spring bridle. Terminology learnt through research over the last 2 weeks so hopefully, I am making sense.

arbour.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The photo is the barrel arbor, You need to look for a spring with those dimensions. One other thing that might come in handy when it comes to mainsprings. 1 third of the barrel for the spring, 1 third for the arbor and 1 third of free space. That is a rough guide; you don’t want a spring to long. As you are in the UK. Look at the top of this forum and you will see Resources, go to Parts and Tool suppliers and click on the Cousins UK, find watch mainsprings and see what comes up to match the spring you want. If your barrel has the type of fitting in the photo you should be OK because that is the most common type, if it is different could you post a photo of it.

ElectaMainspring.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

The photo is the barrel arbor, You need to look for a spring with those dimensions. One other thing that might come in handy when it comes to mainsprings. 1 third of the barrel for the spring, 1 third for the arbor and 1 third of free space. That is a rough guide; you don’t want a spring to long. As you are in the UK. Look at the top of this forum and you will see Resources, go to Parts and Tool suppliers and click on the Cousins UK, find watch mainsprings and see what comes up to match the spring you want. If your barrel has the type of fitting in the photo you should be OK because that is the most common type, if it is different could you post a photo of it.

ElectaMainspring.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing, as these are all the parts I have for the barrel there is more than the spring missing. I will layout the parts of the watch later in the hope that we can identify if the watch is worth putting back together. So far I have found it was in a CH (Charles Horner) case which is assay stamped and the seller was R.Richardson Middlesborough Serial # 21769. Circa 1897!

It's definitely not a Fusee or one of the American makers, so the UK maker remains a mystery.

Any help would be great. As I have already cleaned the solid silver case.

20190817_093522.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I always habe been Interessen in mechanical watches since I was a young man. Now as I‘m retired I starten to „fix“ watches. I bought some Tools and a timegrapher. All watches now are optimized in accuracy. Except a Revue Thommen with a ETA 2824-2 movement. I stripped it  partly, cleaned und libricated it and reassembled the Parts. Now ist is working even worse! Seams I have a lot to learn.... Glad to be here Reinhard
    • Absolutely not. Even if you have the best fake Rolex in the world and no one can tell it's not fake you always know.
    • You'd be way ahead if you'd have taken off the roller, which you knew, so no empathy here! (We all take shortcuts that bite us in the butt sometimes)
    • Had the head of screw strip off the mainspring barrel arbour. Tried to use a bergeon screw extractor and failed. So I set the arbour up in a lathe and graved a small cone center. Then I used circuit board drills and progressively drilled out the center. And after two broken bits, I finally got the insides loose. Then I went on my Stereo Microscope and picked out loose parts using rodico and a small pink screwdriver.   All worked well. Now to find a new screw. The main mission was to replace a broken mainspring. And here is the broken mainspring.     Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    • I should have. Now I have a major repair. And I was so so close Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
×
×
  • Create New...