I am continuing with my restoration of early IWC Cal. 64 and Cal 64T watch movements. Even after cleaning and oiling the timing is often out by more than the index lever can accomodate. Today the movement was running slow, however, the timing screws on the balance were each 3 turns unscrewed. This provided me with the necessary adjustment to increase the beat rate. But it can be a fiddly job, particularly for my unsteady hands. Here is my solution - a small clamp to hold the balance while I turn the screws with a 0.5 mm Horotec driver

:post-374-0-17502200-1419005261_thumb.jpg

The base is milled out of Delrin (Nylon), the finger clamp is from copper-beryllium shim with a thin leather lining on the balance side. The screw-down piece is made from a from a pocket watch stem and crown.

Here it is under the x20 binocular microscope with perfect vision and access to the timing screws.

post-374-0-78764000-1419005735_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I just love innovation, a great solution and well illustrated. I'll file that one in the memory banks, or maybe I should write it down!

Just had a thought, should you not have removed the spring from the balance to check poise after altering the screws?

Edited by Geo

Great job - I love custom tools :)

I just love innovation, a great solution and well illustrated. I'll file that one in the memory banks, or maybe I should write it down!

Just had a thought, should you not have removed the spring from the balance to check poise after altering the screws?

Better to dynamically poise using a timing machine IMO Geo - much more accurate as the balance spring will affect the poise again when you put it back on.

Better to dynamically poise using a timing machine IMO Geo - much more accurate as the balance spring will affect the poise again when you put it back on.

Thanks for the heads up with that one. It would be a good subject for a video.

Thanks for the heads up with that one. It would be a good subject for a video.

Yep - better results with dynamic poising.

I never use my poising tool any more - just the timing machine.

I will show you guys my method one of these days.

Yep - better results with dynamic poising.

I never use my poising tool any more - just the timing machine.

I will show you guys my method one of these days.

You did it at the end of the video

Fitting a new balance staff to a vintage 1940s cyma www military watch

But the method was shrouded in mystery. I am waiting keenly for the day!

Edited by cdjswiss

Coming back to the adjustmnet of balance wheel timing screws. I use a screwdriver rather than a balance screw pin vice. The latter gives less feel and can, in my case, easily lead to a broken off screw head. Extracting the threaded portion from the balance wheel afterwards is tricky to say the least. Of course the pin vice is perfect for the initial fit of a new screw into a vacant hole, but then I stop and continue with the screwdriver.

Excellent work cdjswiss, us young pups learn so much here.

I do however have one criticism, when making specialized tools like that, you should never just make one, what ever were you thinking?!? 

... I mean, how am I suppose to buy one off you now? ^_^

Wow, that's given me a lot of food for thought.................and a lot more to digest. Many thanks for taking the time on a Friday night before Christmas to post this.

Excellent work cdjswiss, us young pups learn so much here.

I do however have one criticism, when making specialized tools like that, you should never just make one, what ever were you thinking?!? 

... I mean, how am I suppose to buy one off you now? ^_^

Thanks for the praise and offer. If I was a young man .... but for me time is running out and so many other watch movements to tackle!.

Edited by cdjswiss

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By jdrichard
      Made a soundproofing box for timing watches and pocket watches. I will be able to pick in the box and simply place it in the various positions.  Used faux leather for the lining, after I took out the OEM conformed stuff. Then I glued in patches of the leather to reform the empty box. Then I took some foam from one of my big pelican type cases and formed an opening in the middle with an area for a pocket watch pendant. Then more faux leather over the bottom foam. And finally foam on the top. Should be a very quiet box. If not I will redo the foam with acoustic foam:)
      Used an old invicta box as they close tight and their made of hard plastic .

• By watch76
      Hi everybody!
      My name is Manfred und i live in Austria. Last year i began to repair watches as a hobby and i like it more und more (by  the way the watch repair channel is great). Because of my interest i purchased an old Greiner timing machine (Chronografic Super) but i have one problem: The carbon paper strip is not very long anymore, so where can i get such an original strip? If somebody wants to sell it or knows a www-adress i would be glad.
      Thanks and regards (i hope my English isn't too bad)
    • By Mark
      Just uploaded a new video. this one concentrating on correcting beat error.

• By Mark
      I have just posted a new vid on YouTube. This one takes last weeks video a bit further and shows the basic operation of a Timegrapher timing machine.

• By Mark
      It's a method devised by Greiner in the late 50's or early 60's which allows the use of the timing machine to find the heavy spot when you have an amount of positional error. I understand that their method rendered the 'static poising' method to be obsolete (their words, not mine).

In the most basic form the method is to test in 8 positions (0 to 7) in the vertical, and find the position where the watch is gaining the most.

The starting position is to draw an imaginary line from the escape wheel centre to the balance centre and set the movement on the microphone with the line vertical, the balance being above the escape wheel. This is position '0'

Each test you turn the movement clockwise by 45º, the first = point 1 second = point 2 and so on.

When you find your heavy spot (where the watch is gaining the most) take the balance off the watch and flip it over so the impulse pin is facing up.

Draw an imaginary line from the staff through the impulse pin to the balance wheel rim. This is point 0. At 45º from this point is point '1' and 90º is point 2. Point 4 is at 180º on the balance rim and hopefully you get the idea.

So whatever position is gaining the most on the timing machine, you would either reduce weight at that point or add weight (timing washer) on the opposite side of the heavy spot. And this depends on the rate when the watch is in the horizontal.

If the watch is slower in the horizontal then you will lighten the screw at the point found.
      If the watch is faster in the horizontal then you will lighten the screw opposite the point found.
      If the watch is running at zero rate in the horizontal then you would lighten the screw nearest the point found and add weight to the opposite of that point in equal measure to the lightening.

If the balance has no screws then the only choice to be had would be to remove material at the heavy spot, it's not possible to add weight.

Two things to note is that, when testing on the timing machine, the watch should be wound down enough so that the amplitude is between 150º and 180º
      And secondly the watch must be cleaned and properly lubricated first.

I hope my overview is clear, it's late and I have enjoyed a few fingers this evening  :)