VWatchie

Bergeon No 5500 Crystal Press Review

After having struggled far too many times and for far too long with my budget Chinese eBay crystal press, I (after an interesting discussion here on WRT) decided to get myself a professional crystal press in the form of a Bergeon No 5500. I decided to video document my very first (and successful) attempt at using it and so for those of you interested you can watch it here. It's hardly an action movie but I reckon that for anyone considering buying this press the video could hopefully be useful and interesting.

To be honest I would prefer and recommend a Chinese 5500A type for less than euro 50 to a lever type which when bought original cost more than 100.

5 minutes ago, jdm said:

To be honest I would prefer and recommend a Chinese 5500A type for less than euro 50 to a lever type which when bought original cost more than 100.

I appreciate your honesty! With a bit of luck, I think the Chinese version could be just, or near as good. I paid £123 for the press (including tax and shipping from Spain to Sweden). The Bergeon 5500A from cousinsuk.com including a full set of dies (they don't sell the press separately) would have cost me over £500/€560 (tax and shipping included).

I guess as long as the seller permits a "return no questions asked", the Chinese option could be attractive, but I in my case I just didn't want to take any chances, and I'm happy I didn't.

Nice video! I have the same Bergeon 5500 press with the A-set of aluminium dies, it's a very old set and the box is branded Favorite even though the tool pictured on the box is Bergeon. It's one of my favourite tools to use.

Lever Vs screw type could be a personal preference but in the end you have more feeling with the first,  better power and control with the second. The same happens with a lathe tailstock in drilling, in there normally lever type is preferred. But having set myself some tight crystal and bezels personally I prefer a screw type. For even more confusion there are even some expensive type which combines a screw-in case back opening function.