Out Of Beat & Hairspring Not Level?

So I was able to detach the balance and hairspring from the balance cock with everyone's help :biggrin:!  I'm not sure I had to do this to correct the problem, but this is a learning journey for me.

post-38-0-91163000-1422505362_thumb.jpg

Now that I have removed it, I have a much better understanding of what could be causing the hairspring to lie at an angle as per my original picture (when it was still in the movement)...

post-38-0-54800500-1422505324_thumb.png

Correcting the problem: From what I can see and surmise, and I may be way off here, does the hairspring stud simply need to be installed deeper into the balance cock with a corresponding change in height where it passes through the regulator for the hairspring to lie flat?

Cheers!

Roger 

Hi Roger, looking at your pictures that may well be the case. If the hairspring is perfectly flat now that it is free of the cock, I would try re-installing it at a depth that allows it stop sit flat. Then check that the alignment is OK between the regulator pins throughout the range of adjustment. If it all checks out OK, refit to the movement and see how it runs. :)

A wee tip:- Get a block of cork and pin the cock to it, it makes working on it a lot easier.

Edited by Geo

It,s hard to tell via the pics & it might be a trick of the light but it looks like the balance staff is not seated in both jewels.

The other thought is, is it the original hairspring. The reason I say this is I had this issue & it was the centre hairspring stud was longer than the original so alignment was difficult. If I remember correctly I put a small upwards twist in the hairspring at the end stud to get alignment. Someone with more experience might have a better ideas.

Edited by clockboy

Geo: I think I have nothing to lose by resetting the height of the stud to see if that solves the problem.

Clockboy: I am not sure if it's the original hairspring. I bought it used off EBay so I am not sure. I do have a donor movement and the watch is currently running with the balance assembly from the donor. I think I'll remove the donor balance and compare the two to see if what you are suggesting is a possibility.

Thanks gents!

Roger