ETA 2789 question.

davidrrd

Hello Guys.

So recently worked on my first Swiss movement an ETA 2789 that I picked up in a flea market here in Shanghai where I currently live. The movement comes from what seems to be a Tonight Spacemaster. However I am not completely confident on the origin of all the parts. That's was not my concern. I was looking for an affordable "working" Swiss movement to work on. It was a pleasure to discover the architecture and somehow the élégance of the manufacture. Even though the movement was abused I think. Well after disassembling-cleaning-oiling-assembling with my little practice and the help of Mark's videos, the watch is once again alive and keeping good time.

My question concerns the date/day mechanism. Before putting back in a case (new one with dial and hands found on TaoBao ) the quickset was apparently working perfectly. Once in the case I feel there is something maybe rubbing - the outside ring I believe. I dealt with that the best I could. However when using the quickest for the date sometimes it gets stuck but runs when being used.

Second problem and more curious is that the day wheel change position really early on the day - 16h .... To move again at midnight to the second language (the one choosen). I am right to think that there is something with the day/date wheel shown in The pictures?

If that is the case you think that I can replace it with the one from a 2834 movement (they seem to be the same) and have you tried parts from the sea-gull clones? (On TaoBao I have access mostly to those ones, and do not know where to source original ones)

Thanks in advance for your help!

David

PS. The 2834 movement, also pretty abused, came from the same place and is my next project. 7894e5760efe37da55f9bcc9953a3a66.jpg9b7952d3969a365e9ddfcc3f01a62d4a.jpgc0d93cf98eb1e6948ecc13b0cfc12763.jpg72f4bc6adebea0292867c98ba70336dd.jpg

Sent from my Mi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Are you sure you have greased the calendar parts. When metal rubs metal that is where the grease needs to be applied. The calendar wheel can wear and it can easily be distorted, check for that. Make sure you have the correct screws in place, it is possible a screw could be rubbing. You need to move the winder in the set hands passion and move the button around until the date changes, when it is about to change put the hands on at 12, try again and you might need to make slight adjustment to the hands.

I don’t think the parts are interchangeable

Hi david,  julesborel.com  says not interchangable. Bent date dial ? Bad teeth.

Also a shim/ spacer goes on the hour wheel to prevent rubbing with dial plate.

Change the day and date with dial plate off, you may see what is rubbing.

Regards joe.

Are you sure you have greased the calendar parts. When metal rubs metal that is where the grease needs to be applied. The calendar wheel can wear and it can easily be distorted, check for that. Make sure you have the correct screws in place, it is possible a screw could be rubbing. You need to move the winder in the set hands passion and move the button around until the date changes, when it is about to change put the hands on at 12, try again and you might need to make slight adjustment to the hands.

I don’t think the parts are interchangeable

Thanks for your reply. I will be checking for those eventual problems. I am pretty sure I used the screws I took out in the same place..... But once again without knowing the prévenance of the watch I cannot say if anybody interchanged them.
The grease part tickles me. I am learning and still figuring out the oiling procedures. I did oil/grease what I know has to be oiled.... But that part in particular I did not grease it....(the one shown in the photo) and would not know where to grease : the teeth actioning the day/date wheel or in the middle where the part moves?

Hi david,  julesborel.com  says not interchangable. Bent date dial ? Bad teeth.
Also a shim/ spacer goes on the hour wheel to prevent rubbing with dial plate.
Change the day and date with dial plate off, you may see what is rubbing.
Regards joe.

Thanks for that info. Will go and check the website. Date/day dial are new (and also forgot to decline that the photos where taken before cleaning) and I try changing them with the dial off, using the quickest and everything seemed fine. Also when using the crown. Problem is that the day wheel covers the mechanism and prevent me to see how the wheels are working.... And obviously with that wheel out I can only see how it actions the date wheel. So Icannot figure how to know and which teeth is actioning the day wheel... And mostly when!
BTW. Also have the spacer between the hour wheel and the dial.

Nucejoe ... I am looking at the Julesborel website. Is "Clutch wheel" the name of that part? I do not know the name and without the photos is difficult. Pretty useful information there BTW

Forget that I found the information ....

Yes the wheel you show changes date and day.

Google     eta2824 ranfft,      the pic there shows date plate maintaining plate screwed on , date plates teeth move beneath it.

You should screw maintaining plate back on, change date to observe where it rubs.

Regards joe