Naptha Vs Naptha Vm&p

Gary

Hi everyone!

Are Naptha and Naptha VM&P the same thing? (using them for cleaning till my cleaners arrive. Also what about xylene?

One more- do you clean the pallet fork with these?

Any direction would be great.

Thanks!

Gary

Gary I use Napthalene (plain'ol naptha) exclusively to clean everything except the balance and the pallet--for that I use one-dip. I have used Naptha for the pallet once or twice and it does NOT melt the shellac at all. In fact, many old-timer watchmakers on the NAWCC suggest using Napthalene because it dissolves all kinds of oils and dirt and dries with virtually no residue quickly. Just be sure to crack open a window and use jars with tops so that the fumes don't become a problem. Naphtha is also VERY cheap. Xylene I think also works, but be careful as it will dissolve rosin--a sticky resin that is sometimes used for gluing pallet stones. Also it is somewhat smellier than Naptha but has a sweet smell that is intoxicating and can have narcotic-like effects.

JC

HI JC,

Thank you ! I am finding the  Naptha VM&P prevalent here and narrowed  down the VMP is for Varnish and Paint Makers...I think but I am further investigating. I have not found Naphtalene as of yet.

Thank you again!

Hi JC, where do you get the Naphtalene? I use the Ronson lighter fluid. Is that the same thing? Thanks in advance.

Same stuff. Doesn't have any affect on me, but then again I spent 30 years in a badly ventilated basement in London running a print business and the fumes could knock out an elephant.

Hi JC, where do you get the Naphtalene? I use the Ronson lighter fluid. Is that the same thing? Thanks in advance.

Yes same thing. But if you go to the hardware store they should have Naptha in large containers. I paid $5.49 for 32 fluid Oz.

JC

Thanks JC, good to know, I paid the same for the little bottle of Ronson fluid!!!

Well they have to make their money somewhere, what with the decline in fags (that's what we call cigarettes AND nothing else this side of the pond) also the downturn in arson.

• Like 2

I have been a convert to e-cigs for over a year. It wasn't due to the health issue & I did enjoy smoking, It was down to cash. Real cigs (at 20 a day) cost up to £250 a month, whereas e-cigs work out between £20-£30 a month. Also, I can smoke in the pub etc. I have now consigned the Zippo to the curiosity cabinet.

Thanks for the link, Blacklab, good definition. Now I know I'm not on that list, all my collections are framed and chosen, including the ones nailed to the ceiling for lack of space! ... Even my collection of old phone books and bagfuls of supermarket vintage receipts on top of the stove that force me to cook on a portable electric burner! OoooH, and the closet full of exotic Belgian Waffles, the pet roaches, mice, cats, dogs, monkeys, hippos and ...Just kidding!  :startle:  :D