Tissot Crown Needed

Hello all, can you relate to this scenario? sentimental watch been in the family for years, seen plenty of action and one day takes a knock and the crown gets bent over... some years pass watch gets taken to 'the menders' chap says leave it with me I can get that sorted no problem. Pick watch up three weeks later and the guys says job done ok but couldnt get a proper crown so we use one that fits... 7 quid later this is the result... if anyone can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated....oh and a replacement crystal would be nice...

post-378-0-37268700-1413717736_thumb.jpg

Edited by NigelNorski

As some once said "ee's avin a larf". I think he should give you the old crown back + the cash, then you can take it to a decent watchmaker. There are a few Tissot crowns on Fleabay at the moment, you may get lucky but there are many, many different crowns. Unfortunately Tissot is part of the dark side (commonly known as the Swatch Group - see other posts) therefore parts, diagrams, sizing, info etc is a bit of a problem.

• Like 1

The measurements of the tissot crowns that are available are given on the cousins site, the chances are you should be able to get a genuine Tissot crown that will fit the case. I don't see that being an issue myself????????

BIG BODGE. Made by someone whos out of touch with both what people expect & modern pricing! there's no way I'd do that for £7! at least it didn't cost you much!

Lee

That is shocking as has already been said , the only plus points are it was cheap and the stem being to long can at least be shortened , hopefully you can get your crown back and then the end result won't be as bad.

good luck Andy

Just had a look on Cousins and they don't list the crystal for that case no but you should be able to get a generic one ok.

Got an armoured generic one for a Tissot of mine for just over £7 plus vat etc

Edited by Andyclient

I know that lots of us are amateurs but that is really shoddy work that we wouldn't have dared to post had we done it.

The original crown should have been returned to you, I have seen them dunched but never "bent" so it was probably the stem which he has replaced or extended and there are ways of getting the broken stems out of the crowns to re use them if you can be bothered.  The charge was quite low as if he knew the work was rubbish.  

Anyway Tissot Crowns are available on EBay - just trace for "Tissot Crown"  but you will need to size the Crown properly for diameter and height, it needs to fit over the tube and you need the screw thread size (known as the "Tap size"). The Movement looks like a 2531 from the pic which would make my best guess as a "401" or 0 .9 mm stem (Tap 10). If I am correct then the crown from the Ebay would need to be for that tap size.  Further internet research may be needed.

A lot depends on how much involvement you want in the repair.  Shortening a stem is often a case of patience, continually fitting and taking off the crown and refitting the stem in the watch and removing it for further adjustment as necessary. I personally cut them a tad too long with the stem cutter and use my dremel initially to bring it down to near size but always finish by hand with a diamond file taking off tiny bits till it is just right then a spot of loctite and jobs done.  New Tissot stems are about £3.50 plus postage if you have a disaster.

I would think that if you persevere you will succeed,  there are lots of wise heads, not just hobbyists like me, that are in the trade and really know their stuff on this forum and will pitch in to help with queries.

Good Luck

Vic

I'm a little late for this thread and I'm of the same mind as all the answers here. Crown should be sourced, stem shortened, but the most important part is to get back the original crown from the butcher...I mean, repair person. If lucky, and worst case scenario, with a broken stem still in, it can probably salvaged. Some use chemicals when at all impossible to extract the piece of stem that broke off. In that case, the crown finish may suffer and may need refinishing. It is all still doable when the crown itself is not stainless steel....so, one way or the other, try to get that original crown back.

Also, I'm thinking of the possibility that your repair person has bough a Tissot crown from you for 7 bucks!