Stargate Seiko?

These watches are often referred to as Stargate Seikos.

Does anyone know the origin of the name? Is it simply a design thing or was it really part of the movie/series? Pictured are the original release and the second more recent resease the Stargate 2. Both are now discontinued by Seiko but #2 is still available...for a price!

#1 (7S36-00Y0)

post-253-0-85723300-1417392592.jpg

#2 (7S36-0CL4? or SKZ325)

post-253-0-13954600-1417392599.jpg

Thank you for your comments and research results. I did google this a lot but nothing came my way!

It sounds more like a nickname due to its appearance. As a confessed Stargate fan (I'm watching the series on Netflix at the moment ;)), the large bezel and triangular design elements somewhat recall the appearance of a stargate in the original TV series. The No. 2 lacks most of those except the triangle at the top of the bezel - so the original is far more likely to be called a Stargate Watch.

Visual aids help ;).

Stargate.JPG

You can see how fans of the show could easily have originated the nickname.

Edited by PadraicB

Thank you guys for the response.

Fan here too! Got all of them on DVD! Also McGyver's! (same original main actor of both series) I could stick a bumper sticker on my car: "Sci fi fan on board" but I hate bumper stickers! :)

I have restored or am in the process of restoring a few of the original ones and was researching the "hipe" value they might still have seeing that the second generation - as Padraic said - is less of a "Stargate" than the first and it is sold when found (new) for around US$500!

I also found non "Stargate" Seikos using a similar triangle at the top too, like the model SRP495, therefore the inquiry about the origin of the nick name. Please, keep on the good work and research to get to the bottom of this "mystery".

I believe they are also from 1997 ish (the 1st release ones). I'll check this out for accuracy and come back.

Edited by bobm12

A brief search later...

The watches actually used in the Stargate SG-1 show were Omega Speedmasters and Casio G-Shocks for seasons 1-5 followed by (at Richard Dean Anderson's request allegedly) the Suunto Advizor in later seasons. Stargate Atlantis appears to have used the Suunto Vector with a few appearances of the G-Shock.

The original movie has Kurt Russell wearing a Breitling Sirius.

No signs of any mechanical Seikos which appears to be a nail in the coffin of the idea of "Stargate" being anything more than a nickname.

You are right Padraic, it appears to be only a nickname from the Seiko/SG fans! Quite a combination I'm about to fall in.

it also seems they (Seiko) have the second release in 2010 and a newer, more recent, 3rd release later on. The difference is a rectangular Cyclops over the day/date on the newer release. I tried to edit my previous post but couldn't do that, since the SRP495 is part of the 3rd release which I didn't know at the time....It will probably get more complicated.

Thanks for the list of true SG watches!