Referendum - Any Thoughts?

I don't normally talk about politics on forums - too much danger of tempers being raised - but I just wondered if anyone had any comments on the whole business. I didn't mind a result one way or the other, meself, though I didn't think all the ramifications of a "yes" vote had been thoroughly thought out.

I note that the first "Yes" response came from Dundee... I hope Geo's still talking to us!

I have to say that, many years ago, one strand of my ancestors - the Ballingall family - came from Kinross.

Lots of people in the NE of England have Scottish ancestry, my grandfather on my mothers side was a proud Scot from Dumfries. When it came to the push Scots, Welsh, Irish and English all fought side by side and would not have hesitated to die for each other. Like many Nations with shared borders there will always be some problems as History shows, but when it comes down to it despite differences past and present I feel we all belong together but should also not be afraid to be proud of our differing cultures.

• Like 1

History never looks good in hindsight ;).

If Ireland were still part of the Union, I suspect a vote in 2014 would be similarly divided. There's already a hint of panic when anyone brings up the notion of the UK exited the EU. That reminds me, can we borrow your Queen again? I really enjoyed watching the poor Sinn Feiners last time around ;).

Edited by PadraicB

I think it's a shame No failed, not because I'd have liked to see the Scots go, but because I saw it as an anti-Westminster (all parties) vote. It would have been nice for the politicians to get an inkling of how much they are loathed and that this might have consequences. I expect an independent Scotland would have managed fine—there are plenty of small (population) countries in Europe and they mostly do pretty well for themselves.