what is it

1 hour ago, dhh said:

I have a Waltham (1935) watch that has a latch (or lever) to the side of the winder (see attached photo) - what is this? I have looked at several videos (of watch repair) and have not seen this item before.

Thanks,

Dave

[email protected]

latch.jpg

It's basically to use when servicing, it puts the keyless work into wind mode if you pull it out, normal mode when pushed in. Usually people use bench keys for winding and setting on the work bench and sometimes they don't operate the keyless work properly. When installed in the case it should be pushed in for normal wind/set function. I have also seen some pocket watches converted to wrist watches with a pin set mechanism that I suppose is using this lever, although I've never seen one up close in person. This of course is for pendant set models, lever set don't have it.

Edited by khunter
Correction

As a side note it's not required for the movement to function properly, I've seen several where it was missing. It will however interfere with replacing the barrel bridge if it isn't in the proper position, as it catches on the keyless work near the winding clutch. Pushed fully in usually works, but you may have to move it slightly while pressing down on the bridge. 

As noted above it's for servicing. The problem is when a pocket watches out of the case it's in setting mode. If you're trying to time the watch while it's in setting mode a lot of times it will just stop or just doesn't run right because it's trying to drive the entire setting mechanism. So the little tab or sometimes a screw on the top plate put the watch back into winding to allow you to run the watch out of the case.