Dent in pocket watch stem tube

azkid

Greetings and thanks in advance.

What are some ways that one might one go about repairing the dent, pictured, in the stem tube of my circa 1920 pocket watch?

f154d6a5d6b5bc73636427d38578689a.jpg

The dent is interfering with stem operation. Winding and putting the stem in set/wind positions takes way more force than is normal.

Apologies if the terminology is incorrect. That might explain my difficultly finding any advice via search.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how to repair such a thing. I would think that someone did this purposely, perhaps to keep the stem from pulling out? Otherwise I don't see how that dimple could get there while missing the upper pendant and case band. It's too "perfect". 

If the stem stays with the case when the movement is removed, it probably has a pendant (What you called "stem tube".) sleeve inside that, along with a bulge on the stem that serves to stop the stem in its desired depth positions. Maybe there is a problem with the sleeve itself, or someone didn't know how, or lacked the proper tool (sleeve wrench) to make the adjustment, and just took a shot in the dark on a method, not caring about aesthetics? Trying to figure out the "whats" and "whys" of past work is often a big challenge on old watches. Getting them back to working spec's can go either way. Case repairs are quite specialized, and that dent is "extra special", IMHO. Good luck. Cheers.

Edited by MrRoundel
Add "stem tube"/pendant notice.

If the stem stays with the case when the movement is removed, it probably has a pendant (What you called "stem tube".) sleeve inside that, along with a bulge on the stem that serves to stop the stem in its desired depth positions.

That's how this one works, yes. I had to replace the stem sleeve, in fact, as the original one's spring teeth had broken off.

Sounds like I may be fighting a losing battle on this issue...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I don't know if it's a losing battle, but it may be one that is more hassle than it's worth, and you could do more harm than good. If you reach inside the pendant and try to lever the dent out, you'll probably damage the threads for the sleeve. Did you put a little grease on the stem-bulge when you assembled it? It should be lubricated.

If the case is solid karat gold, you could have a jeweler or casemaker fill the dimple with the same karat and then smooth it out. But unless the watch is pretty rare and valuable, it's probably not worth it. Good luck.

Edited by MrRoundel
Added second paragraph