Pocket Watch

Alan888

I have some pocket Watches English Lever

Signed buy J G Graves. They are all in need of servicing . Some need parts .

I am trying to find a repair manual for this watch type . Strip down and reassemble .

This is all new to me I am a retired Heavy Duty

Diesel Engineer 73 years old

I Don’t want to start stripping one down and get stuck half way and damage something.

HELP . Regards. Alan888

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It be really nice to have pictures of the watches. Then I found the link which also made me suspicious of something as they're probably not English levers because are too late manufacturing. That is confirmed on the second link that They are really a Swiss lever. In any case whether it's a Swiss lever in English lever that doesn't change your problem.

So unless you don't care about destroying the watches I would suggest a different movement to start on. So if there like the watches in the pictures at the first link they're going to be a challenge for a beginner. I doubt there in a spare parts unless is a watch you could steel parts from. There early enough that they probably hand fit everything Meeting that replacement parts will be difficult to find if not impossible.

So somewhere in this discussion group there are some discussions on starting watch repair. The tools Suggestion of watch movements etc. and once you've done a couple watches if you want then come back to these but don't start on them.

http://www.horologist.co.uk/graves.htm

http://oxfordpocketwatches.blogspot.com/2015/09/jg-graves-express-english-lever.html

• Like 1

I watched a youtube that recommended taking a pic each time you removed a part.

Then playing back that record shows the reverse of the order you need to use to get all the bits back into their respective positions.

I also noticed that the loose parts were grouped together for different areas of the rebuild.

Could some form of low tack sticky be used to hold the loose parts from rolling around?

This Forum as a number of strip down/rebuild videos.

What about buying a cheap damaged needs repair watch of similar size and age.

It might give you some experience on that scale of work and just possibly some spare parts if they just happened to be the same size.

Edited by watson1

4 hours ago, watson1 said:

I also noticed that the loose parts were grouped together for different areas of the rebuild.
Could some form of low tack sticky be used to hold the loose parts from rolling around?

Below the container normally used, the bell shaped clear dust cover is not shown. I've added labels by function group. Tiny parts like springs and stones are kept in the thimble-like one, and the basket helps moving the whole in and out the washing container.

P1292185.JPG

On YouTube, type in bunnspecial. You will find video's that will give an insight into what's required. This guy is not a professional but talented all the same.
If you are looking for movements to practice on I suggest you start with a 3 quarter plate Swiss lever and then move onto something like the Waltham model 1883. It's a full plate with English lever, that said, it's still quite a nice movement to work on and can still be found on Ebay, reasonably priced, with used spare parts, available.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk