Transporting clock

frenchie

With pendulum clocks always remove the pendulum and when moving always tilt the clock towards yourself, this will prevent the pendulum from swing about and will preserve the suspension spring. Place paper between the crutch to stop the crutch from tripping. With some French striking clocks, you have to remove the bell to get to the crutch. With chiming clocks most have, hammer locks so lock them, if not place paper so hammers don’t make noise (it will drive you nuts) if you’re driving and the vibration can cause the clock to strike or chime. Place paper to prevent movement from vibration, which can trigging the strike or chime. Longcase clocks make sure the dial and hands are away from being scratched or bending of the hands, a blanket is best place movement face down on that. Don’t forget to let the lines out and keep the strike and time lines away from each other so they don’t tangle, I used to wrap them around the seat board. Anniversary clocks or 400-day clocks always lock the pendulum and place in a box with lots of packing. The very old disk pendulum and the ones that do not come with locks be careful of the suspension spring but always pack them well. DON’T FORGET CLOCKS THAT CAME WITH KEYS REMEMBER TO TAKE THEM WITH YOU.

• Thanks 1

clockboy and oldhippy, thank you very much!!!

I don't have a clock yet at home and I'm looking for one. I will be travelling to Europe soon and I have a few place to visit that may have something nice. I'm looking at a wall clock, something like this: blog-113.jpg

I just want to be prepared, in case I find something I really like!

Worse comes to worse, it will travel with me in the plane, nicely padded up, pendulum removed, keys securely stored somewhere, lots of newspaper everywhere :) 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.