FHF 90-5

Nunk

Hello

I have been learning how to repair watches for the past 3 months now.

its seem to be going ok I think.  Body count is starting to drop now.  When I first started all I had to do was touch a watch and it would stop working :):).  Thankfully I am starting see some progress now.   So I got a bit brave and decided to service a FHF 90-5 dated auto.  Couple of things went wrong.   The date changes at 9 oclock :o and the case spacer wont go back in ????  I am sure it goes in after the movement.   It just wont fit and the rotor brushes against it.   What is going on with this ?????

For the date changing at 9 oclock, it may have to do with when you put hands back.

Before putting the hands back on, did you set the date properly (turn the crown until the date just changes, no more)? That's midnight. Install the hands back on in the midnight position. You should be all set

• Like 1

4 hours ago, frenchie said:

For the date changing at 9 oclock, it may have to do with when you put hands back.

Before putting the hands back on, did you set the date properly (turn the crown until the date just changes, no more)? That's midnight. Install the hands back on in the midnight position. You should be all set

looking at it again I dont think its a spacer problem, its something else.    Jeez putting the movement back in was meant to be the easy bit.  I am going to have take the auto mech off again grrrr

I just serviced a pair of these movements around 2-3 weeks ago.

You're supposed to install the spacer onto the movement before the whole movement goes into the case. (simple press fit)

The date changing wrong is due to the fact that you installed the hands incorrectly.

As has been said, with the hands uninstalled, turn the crown around (in time setting mode) until the date changes. That means that you've reached 12:00PM, the moment when the date should change. Now you simply have to install the hour and minute hands (showing 12 o'clock obviously). The seconds hand doesn't matter where it'll point.

Edited by Chopin

1 hour ago, Chopin said:

I just serviced a pair of these movements around 2-3 weeks ago.

You're supposed to install the spacer onto the movement before the whole movement goes into the case. (simple press fit)

The date changing wrong is due to the fact that you installed the hands incorrectly.

As has been said, with the hands uninstalled, turn the crown around (in time setting mode) until the date changes. That means that you've reached 12:00PM, the moment when the date should change. Now you simply have to install the hour and minute hands (showing 12 o'clock obviously). The seconds hand doesn't matter where it'll point.

Ok thanks.   

I think I need to strip down the Auto mech again.  it does not seem to be engaging (((sigh))).

Did you not install a gear correctly ? Is the problem with the rotor itself or below it ?

When you install the rotor you have to press it down onto the movement and rotate it slightly at the same time so that the wheels will start to engage.

1 hour ago, Chopin said:

Did you not install a gear correctly ? Is the problem with the rotor itself or below it ?

When you install the rotor you have to press it down onto the movement and rotate it slightly at the same time so that the wheels will start to engage.

Yeah I stripped down the auto mech again and spotted a gear round the wrong way.   Seems to be ok now.  I was going to start work on my Traser with a 2824 movement after this episode but I think i need a bit more practice.  Thanks guys

• Like 1