How To Dimagitize A Air Spring On A Watch

When I've demagnetized a watch, I've done it before taken it appart. One way of knowing if it needs demagnetizing is by using a compass. If it, when placed under the watch and moved away from it, gets oriented/moves towards the watch, then the watch should be demagnetized.

The reason to demagnetize the movement when inside the watch and before servicing, is because of:

1.- the hairspring is protected since it is held in position so vibrations should not affect it too much.

2.- If there is any debris stuck to the movement, they are released as the watch is demagnetized. Therefore, cleaning is "more" effective. The released particles go with the cleaning. If demagnetized after maintenance they act like sand paper screwing up the parts inside so to speak.

Also, when demagnetizing, the hairspring becomes very hot and may loose its temper so some demagnetizing tools are simply too powerfull and should not be used.

This is what I've been told by a watchmaker. I always follow this advise and have never had any problems.

I bet someone with more experience in the forum can give a better solution.

I demagnetize before working on a movement as well, for all the reasons Bob has pointed out, plus it protects your tools from getting magnetized as well.

I also do it after the watch has been reassembled prior to adjustment\calibrating ... that's my 2 cents worth.

I demagnetize before working on a movement as well, for all the reasons Bob has pointed out, plus it protects your tools from getting magnetized as well.

I also do it after the watch has been reassembled prior to adjustment\calibrating ... that's my 2 cents worth.

Agreed! It is very essential to demag after cleaning if you are using a watch cleaning machine with a motor :)

Good to know that bit Mark, thank you for pointing it out. Do an ultrasonic qualify for after cleaning demagnetizing? Maybe that's an exception? Please, advise and thank you in advance.

Not entirely sure but I would just make it standard practice to demag after any cleaning cycle no matter what the format :)

• 2 weeks later...