George Daniels - "all In Good Time"

My son bought me a copy of George D's autobiography for my birthday - "All In Good Time". Fascinating stuff - from poverty in the East End to fame and fortune as the world's greatest horologist. We're off to Alnwick today, via Buxton - so it'll be a good read on those rainy days.

The problem, as always, is "what watch(es) to take?"...

The Bulova is the bog standard, time master. The Girard-Perregaux for evening wear in those Northumberland tapas bars. And I'll probably take the Hamilton Khaki as an all-purpose weather watch.

I'd planned to take my 1939 Unitas, which I love, but the little bugger decided to break its mainspring over the weekend. Luckily, they're available from Cousins, so it's a job for when I get back...

Edited by WillFly

George Daniels was a fascinating character and a master watchmaker, probably the equal of any who lived before him. R.I.P.

As to your watch problem, it seems to arise from overabundance, if you only had a couple picking one would be a lot less trouble.  I think most would agree that you have a very bad case of watchitis and have passed beyond,  way beyond,  the stage where tablets or therapy would be of any help.  On the upside it probably saves you from worse things than collecting watches.  :thumbsu:

Enjoy your break.

• Like 1

autowind, on 02 Sept 2014 - 5:56 PM, said:

As to your watch problem, it seems to arise from overabundance, if you only had a couple picking one would be a lot less trouble.  I think most would agree that you have a very bad case of watchitis and have passed beyond,  way beyond,  the stage where tablets or therapy would be of any help.  

Look, we are all friends here, and I for one want to help poor Will with this much needed therapy.

To start with, we need to simplify your life with less watches ... so please PM me to arrange shipment of your complete collection; bar perhaps 1 or 2 basic beaters, to aid in your "mental health and well being".  You know it's for your own good Will, and because I care.

Once they arrive here, we'll discuss further treatment .... :nurse: