RJK

RJK

As someone who takes the view that if it's been assembled, it can be dissembled and therefore fixed, I make occasional forays into clocks and watches and have a reasonable set of tools.  I've practised on a few Chinese movements for the skill building and entertainment, but I confess I wouldn't take any of my 'real' watches apart - off to the professional for those. I'm more likely to tackle a clock due to the scale.

Strong preference for mechanical, although - putting chronometer definition aside - possibly my most 'accurate' watch is a Bulova Accutron, which I have rated down to around half a second a day over two months.

Built an interesting rating circuit based on the usual piezo element, but not sure i'm willing to open a very good watch to do the adjusting!

I do get a string of more modest value watches for inevitable battery and/or gasket replacement, case polishing and other minor fettling and maintenance.

So, an enthusiastic amateur.

OK R. Yes a man has to know his limitations. We all have to know this. You are doing OK. Watch Mark Lovick and you will learn a great deal. He is extremely knowledgeable and supplies info and courses. I am 75 now so a bit old. Yes, you can easily design a watch timer but need software for different beat timings. Hardly worth the trouble. For us amateurs I recommend a Timegrapher 1000 or 1900. The 1900 I believe supports co-axial escapements but I am not sure, never had one to try. They are cheap. 1000 £118. 1900 £147. I timed another Seamaster 300 yesterday and had to take great care with the screwdriver. (micro adj). This watch had an iso beat adjustment and this was a real help as the beat error as 2.2. After adjustment I settled for 0.02 beat error in 3 positions. The watch was of 1971 manufacture. I averaged + 8 Sec`s a day for timing. Regards, Mike. 

OK R. Yes a man has to know his limitations. We all have to know this. You are doing OK. Watch Mark Lovick and you will learn a great deal. He is extremely knowledgeable and supplies info and courses. I am 75 now so a bit old. Yes, you can easily design a watch timer but need software for different beat timings. Hardly worth the trouble. For us amateurs I recommend a Timegrapher 1000 or 1900. The 1900 I believe supports co-axial escapements but I am not sure, never had one to try. They are cheap. 1000 £118. 1900 £147. I timed another Seamaster 300 yesterday and had to take great care with the screwdriver. (micro adj). This watch had an iso beat adjustment and this was a real help as the beat error as 2.2. After adjustment I settled for 0.02 beat error in 3 positions. The watch was of 1971 manufacture. I averaged + 8 Sec`s a day for timing. Regards, Mike. 

Hi RJK, Your Bulova Accutron was the best tuning fork watch.  I had an Omega F300 (not as good as the Bulova)  I smashed it many years ago when a car pulled out and knocked me of my motorcycle. I escaped with hardly a scratch. Watch and bike were wrecked !!. Speak later.