Strip down

Ok , bit random . I have some watches to play with . A raketa with plenty of info . And another watch with none. In theory can I just remove the components and reassemble . I presume I need to remove all the tension from the main spring .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok , bit random . I have some watches to play with . A raketa with plenty of info . And another watch with none. In theory can I just remove the components and reassemble . I presume I need to remove all the tension from the main spring .

The more information the better. Start with the one you have info on. While most parts make some sense when assembling, there are plenty that are puzzling.

I recommend taking pics as you go to help yourself put it back together after the wash.

Yes, power must be definitively off when you remove the pallet fork or you could damage the gear badly. If the watch isn't working then it's helpful to keep power up until that point so that you can assess where the problem may be. Use our peg wood stick or plexi to love the fork back and forth while you look for issues. Don't forget to release the power from that point on or you'll break a pivot or teeth or something.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Yup, and that's a great and necessary early step in learning. (assuming these are scrap movements you're not worried about damaging, it sounds like it)

Release mainspring power, then remove canon pinion (check advice on that) , and then go from there.

It's worthwhile if you're feeling daunted and out of your depth trying to strip it down fully first time through to do sort of 'false starts' strip down one section and reassemble, then strip down again and do the next section, to build familiarity and confidence. 

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1