Rusty Seiko Solar Chronograph V172-OM8 RL stem.

Len33

I've picked up a Seiko Solar Chronograph, with a snapped off stem. (See pictures)

Not sure how the watch is removed from the case, but I think it's from the front?

The stem would obviously need to be removed first and therein lies the problem!

The watch isn't working at the moment, maybe because the stem has been pulled; prior to it breaking off. (About half way in)

Can anyone suggest a way of trying to remove the solidly rusted remainder of the stem?

Also, if successful,  any idea where a stem and button could be obtained from?

Thanks.

IMG_2297.JPG

IMG_2296.JPG

The way the stem is removed is by a push in the hole I have identified with a poky thing such as a pin. The remainder of the stem should then be pushed out with an old screwdriver perhaps. The movement then is removed from the case after the case ring has been removed. 

IMG_2296.JPG.7b75142aba3588df8d0f227130a101f3.thumb.jpg.322fd20240812ccf73bd692e57601534.jpg

That's the wrong place to poke a pokey thing. Just above and to the right is a hole with an arrow that says push. Most likely if you pull the stem out one click you will see the lever through this hole and see a little impression in the lever into which you can fit a small screwdriver to press downwards.

The stem is likely to be quite well held in place due to the rust. You could try attaching a stem extender to it to help remove it.

I suspect that plastic movement ring will be sandwiched between the movement and the dial, so trying to remove it on its own may be fruitless. if there is no stem poking out of the movement to grab with tweezers, then you may actually, unfortunately, need to disassemble the movement partially, until enough keyless work is visible that you can manipulate the old piece of stem out. 

• 2 years later...