How to open Cronel Pinpallet barrel?

I've stripped down and cleaned the rest of the movement but the barrel is a bit of a mystery to me and I've not seen one quite like it before.

The barrel has steel caps on both sides of it and teeth on both sides of the barrel.

I've seen barrels with teeth on both sides of it before on auto wind watches where the arbor stays attached to the top cap, but I'm unsure if this is the same.

Can someone explain why the barrel has steel caps on both side of it?

I'm assuming the arbor and the steel cap with the teeth on it are the side I lift off but can anyone confirm that?

Thanks

barrel1.jpg

barrel2.jpg

barrel3.jpg

Most barrels have two gear wheels. One is on the outer edge of the actual barrel, and one attached to the arbour. Usually the one attached to the arbour comes off very easily, so yours may just be a little snug.

The mainspring is wound by turning the arbour and unwinds by the barrel turning. This means that the watch can be wound whilst it carries on running.

If you can lift off the wheel with steel teeth, then all will probably become clear, but I've not seen this specific part before.

This is a variation of the Roskopf-type barrel in which the barrel lid functions as the third wheel, but on these the arbor is also attached to the top. Its not easy to take apart without damaging or bending the mainspring. When I worked on this type, getting the lid back on for me was such a pain, I simply replaced the entire mainspring using a donor movement. I would suggest you leave it in place and place a drop or two of moebius D5 into the opening and let that ride....just tell yourself it's better this way!

J

Thanks noirrac1j I did wonder if I was better not openning it, I'll glad I asked.

Hopefully I drop of D5 will be enough as the rest of the movement was very gummy.

Now my homework for tonight is to read up on Roskopf-type barrels.

Thanks noirrac1j I did wonder if I was better not openning it, I'll glad I asked.

Hopefully I drop of D5 will be enough as the rest of the movement was very gummy.

Now my homework for tonight is to read up on Roskopf-type barrels.

Hi Tmuir. I think the Moebius D5 should be ok because the mainsprings tend to get dry....sometimes they become gummy, but usually that is the case if there has been substantial water damage. Try placing just one drop into the hole. Since the movement is cleaned and ready, you can replace the barrel and give it a full wound to let it settle and see how things run. Do you have a timegrapher? If you do, you'll be able to see the amplitude, which is a good indication of how much power is being provided by the mainspring.

J

Very pleased. I've worn this watch to work for the last 3 days, winding it each morning and its still within a minute of the correct time.

Only downside is as I expected a terrible watch to read the time on and without my glasses I can only tell what hour it is on it.

But I bought it for the geek factor, the price was right and to practice on and on all those 3 points I'm still very happy with it.

Very pleased. I've worn this watch to work for the last 3 days, winding it each morning and its still within a minute of the correct time.

Only downside is as I expected a terrible watch to read the time on and without my glasses I can only tell what hour it is on it.

But I bought it for the geek factor, the price was right and to practice on and on all those 3 points I'm still very happy with it.

Yeah that's right! The small numbers on the wheel make it difficult to read the time (unless you have young eyes and even then it is hard) and impossible in low light.

J