Restoring black or gold letters on bridges

Hello all,

I got a little too aggressive with rodico on a wheel bridge for my Waltham 12s Gr.235 and the black lettering pulled right out!  What did they use originally to fill these letters in?  Any thoughts or ideas, past experiences?

Thanks,

C

Alternatively ... given the age of your movement and the fact you could lift out whole lettering with Rodico it's more likely this was done originally with a paint stick i.e. a crayon of solid paint that would have been rubbed into the letters and, again, any excess wiped off with alcohol or an appropriate solvent.

If you google something like 'engravers paint stick' you'll see what I mean.

I've re done bezels with black enamel modelling paint and permanent markers before both with good results, just paint over the area you need fillingerie ( in your case you might aswell do the whole lot ) and then wrap a bit of cloth around one finger and wipe straight across the area and hey presto all lettering filled.

I'll post a picture of one I done before for you.

Thanks you guys, I'm glad I have options to play with, and they seem easy enough to manipulate.  

To your second post, WatchMaker, I was able to find something called Laquerstick made by Markal.  Gunsmiths use these to make stampings and engravings pop out.

Don't go too made on price mate, this was simple ol' humbrol model paint, approx £1 and it will last me a life time of bezels. I done that one using an oiler and the capillary action to drop the paint into the indices but time here was over spill that I just wiped off.

Good idea, I saw in WatchMakers posted video that this was the technique the Patek Phillipe folks were using.  Do you thin the paint at all?  I have memories of model paint being kind of on the viscous side.

Well, I couldn't locate any readily available model paint.  It's all video games these days and hobby shops are dying, so off to the craft store I went.  50% off sale, convenient!  Picked up an ultra fine tip permanent marker (0.1mm) and the engravings wicked out the ink beautifully.  A few wipes with a cloth and nice crispy lettering!  I'll have to get a few pictures up when I'm done with the build.  Thanks again.