problem setting hands and calendar on 2836

Hi 

Strangely, I suddenly have a problem setting the calendar and hands on an ETA 2836. Could this be a problem with the releasing button? The keyless works stem positions all click into place.

The the watch winds and the day setting works fine and but it won't go the other way to set the calendar. And if I engage the setting mechanism it just won't turn.

Perhaps there's an ancient chant to fix this problem? 

Dave

The cannon pinion driving wheel turns just fine if the watch is running; however, it just refuses to turn when in setting mode. I disassembled the keyless works and checked that; it's fine. All the intermediate wheels turn - even the minute wheel will turn when the setting lever is engaged - but if the cannon pinion driving wheel just won't turn. 

It is entirely possible that I made a mistake putting it together but I don't think I did.

Thank you for your help.

Dave

I haven't the experience or knowledge of Eta to be of help but I think something is binding somewhere Dave. Not sure cleaning again will help but anything is possible.
If you take pictures as you strip the movement down. One of the guy's on the forum may pick up on something?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi

After numerous soakings in naphtha and threatening it with a ball peen hammer the cannon pinion is moving in its drive wheel. Hurray!

A lot of white crap is coming out as I turn it so I'm sure that was binding it. I'll keep turning it and getting more of the white stuff out and then clean it again. 

Thank you for your help.

Dave

PS - What does ETA mean anyway? The only ETA I know is Estimated Time of Arrival; I'm thinking that isn't a good name for a watch company. ;-)