Estate Sale Find

SketchyTattoos

Ive been wanting to post more on here so I'll start with these.

I just picked them up a local estate sale for an antique collector.

The New York Standard is in pretty good condition minus the missing hands. The Ruxton is complete, also in decent condition. The balance looks good on both so that's good. I havnt dug into them yet but they look like a good servicing should fix them up.

All I know about either of them is what I could find with a Google search. Apparently the ny standard is from 1890 ish and impossible to find parts for. Couldn't find anything useful on the Ruxton.

If anyone wants to share their knowledge about these watches or their companies I'd love to know more about them.

Thanks,

Michael

uploadfromtaptalk1476973996585.jpg.0d977uploadfromtaptalk1476974015178.jpg.a3cb0uploadfromtaptalk1476974026401.jpg.3854duploadfromtaptalk1476974036854.jpg.90881

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Interesting Montgomery dial and moon hands on the Ruxton, is the regulator arm broken? There are NY standard "donor" movements about on the bay, and that's a great place to find out more info. I found one that has earlier serial number that yours for $50. a bit high for a nonrunner  Yours has unusual balance cock assembly, probably 7 jewels, 18 size in coin silver case?

Interesting Montgomery dial and moon hands on the Ruxton, is the regulator arm broken? There are NY standard "donor" movements about on the bay, and that's a great place to find out more info. I found one that has earlier serial number that yours for $50. a bit high for a nonrunner  Yours has unusual balance cock assembly, probably 7 jewels, 18 size in coin silver case?

I believe the paint is just chipped off on the Ruxton regulator arm. I'm not home right now but I'll take a closer look tonight.

I took a look at the NY standards on eBay and it's not as grim as I originally thought. I know more once I start working on it and know what I need. I think you're correct on size and jewel count.

The movement of the second P/W  has what is called a bridge plate movement, so I expect this movement would have been made after 1900. I have never seen until now the type of movement in the second photo.

The Ruxton looks newer to me as well. I was thinking 30s or 40s but I'm not great at dating pocket watches.

1 hour ago, szbalogh said:

What is this book?

Complete price guide to watches by Shugart/Gilbert, it's from 1995, lots of good info on wrist/pocket watches in general, it's a yearly publication with 2016 avail at the Zon or B&Noble. I don't use it for pricing, since that changes like the wind, it's worth a look.

• Like 1