Fault finding with 2824-2 movement

4 hours ago, BoweyUK said:

Hi,

I have just checked the cap jewels and they are fine. The hairspring may be the issue. It has gone through the cleaner though so should be ok...I will get some Bergeon one dip to try that. I'm just going to check the pivots right now maybe something will show up there...

One thing I should mention is that I have a few spare 2824 movements and have removed the balance and pallet from 2 others to swap out to diagnose a defective part....but nothing has changed. The same problem occurs...This makes me think that it is an issue with the way I am placing the balance....Is there a particular way it should be placed? Of course, I have been very careful to ensure the pivots all align and it all seems correct but maybe all the balances I am using are faulty....

I can't wait to get to the bottom of this one. I feel that if I do, I will have learnt a lot and overcome a real problem!

Thanks again for all of your help!

Somehow I responded to the initial inquiry without seeing your latest pictures. It appears the hairspring is either magnetized or sticky (from the last picture it certainly appears that the coils are sticking together to the left of the balance staff). If magnetized, a demagnetizer will fix that problem. If sticky then I definitely suggest One Dip. If you feel comfortable, you can tap the hairspring coil with the tip of your tweezers (touch just the outermost coil) to see if the coils stick to one another when they contact.  Keep in mind, the balance and hairspring is the heart of the watch so only do this if you have the skill of a heart surgeon (If you've followed me on this forum, then you know I've killed a hairspring or two).  

Possibly the hairspring wasn't completely rinsed of cleaner or your cleaning solution has been contaminated with oil.

• Like 1