Bezel paint reapply on a Breitling chronospace

Lorenz

Question

Hey guys, my name is Lorenz. I am an 18 year old electrical engineering student from Germany. 

I got this Breitling chronospace a56012.1 from my granddad and I want to repair it.

Besides a slight clicking noise while turning the crown ( someone please let me know if this is normal ) it works just fine.

My main problem is that the black color on the Bezel is worn out on some positions and I dont know where to find a paint that holds on the metal nor do I know how to paint it again.

I have worked with watches already, I disassembled a mechanical movement cleaned and oiled it again so I feel pretty confident in doing this job.

And I would also like to change out the crystal, does anyone know what size crystal I need for this watch?

Thanks in regards for any advice.

IMG_20190808_225348.jpg

5 answers to this question

Lovely watch, I used to have one as well.  As for paint, I suspect enamel, probably for models, slightly thinned with thinner and a piece of very sharp peg wood.  I would carefully clean the area to be painted with solvent and allow it to flash off before trying to apply paint.  Otherwise, the paint may not adhere due to skin oils, etc.  As for crystal, no idea.  Perhaps a Breitling forum might be able to help.  The "clicking" you feel when turning the crown I believe is normal function as the display functions change.  Good Luck.

RMD

Edited by rduckwor
typo

Hey guys, just a short update. Thanks to rduckwor I was able to find a great paint and painted the watch bezel under the microscope.

I am very pleased with the result, it was pretty timeconsuming though... took me about 4 hours. Would definitly do it again and also recommend it to others if you feel confident in doing this kind of work.

By the way rduckwor send me a message with your PayPal email, your idea of emanel paint really helped me a lot and I would like to say thanks in some way.

If there are any questions just ask me anything. I am happy to help.

IMG_20190808_225348.jpg

IMG_20190813_004124.jpg

IMG_20190813_004205.jpg

IMG_20190813_004346.jpg

IMG_20190813_004607.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

beautiful job congratulations. I usually use glass paint, I suggest. this is my last example:

ps: I got a scratched lathe with sandpaper. I filled the 12-way index with phosphor and threw lacquer on it.

b575d31f70f56c31d03a502987cb3471.jpge591a085ac4c1c67e6bb8e6d8fb6d070.jpg

Before:

c412c8b0adf2789c5fb5b9820f0baccc.jpg

After:

696920cf733ff4c2ada15df26dacb052.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• By Nicola00
      Hi, a few days ago i bought a preziosa skin diver, the movement is ok, but there isn't the bezel, where i can find a bezel as in the photos, or a bezel that is compatible?

• By Max50916
      So I've just finished servicing a Bulova 23 jewel self winding watch from 1961. I'm trying to find a replacement crystal but it doesn't seem that I can use a conventional round hi dome crystal. I tried fitting a 30mm hi dome crystal in which seemed to fit nicely but won't hold the bezel in place. 
      There is a mirrored ring inside the case to hold the movement in place. Is this what a reflector ring is? 
      I found this (see photos) in the GS catalog and THINK it's the correct crystal (PA 462-17) but since it's expensive and I've never dealt with a crystal like this before I was hoping to get some advice/correction if needed. Thank you anyone who can help!

(I included pics of the old crystal for reference)

• By Domovoy
      Hi friends,
      I have a 1970's Slava Soviet made watch my uncle gifted me when I was 9... I have kept it in mint condition all these years and for some reason I decided to have it serviced.
      I took it to a watch repair shop (had 5 stars) spoke with the employee and specifically asked to have the watch back in the same or better condition, when I got it back 6 weeks later I noticed they had scratched and damaged the bezel and changed the spring (even through I asked to call me incase any part needs to be replaced) 
      Now I need to replace the bezel so thats its not chewed up, the factory does not make parts for it and I am distraught as it was in perfect shape and it took someone else to ruin the watch. I only blame myself but it hurts ?

Please help me find the bezel and get it back to its former self as much as possible.  

• By RNS
      Good day all,
      I'm a recent 30 year retiree and elected to start cleaning some of my older watches that ended up in a box wrapped in a towel.  One in particular, a gift from my grandfather, began working with a new battery but the crystal appears foggy.
      I would appreciate specific instructions for removing the stem/ crown and cleaning the crystal from an 1980 Seiko with the 6030A movement.
      Thank you in advance.
      Regards,
      Rick

• By agregate
      This question isn't really one of repair but more a direct question as to what the markings are on the little stickers you find on old watch and pocket watch crystals.
      I understand the 1/16 measurements are lignes, the 1/4 measurements are lunettes(?), the three digit numbers are tenths of milimeters and the number typically from 1-5 is the height of a Geneva crystal, but what do the numbers measured in fractions of 1/8 signify? I did a calculation and the conversion from mystery unit to lignes is
      lignes = (1/2) x mystery + 10
      Any ideas?