Bulova stem

Daveb

Sorry to keep asking questions, Ok so while i am waiting for parts from another project I thought i would sort out a watch my ex father in law gave me 4 years ago to experiment on, it's a Bulova, hand wind from 1974, the crystal was shot, it didn't have a strap and it was dirty but it worked, i tried to put a new crystal in but ordered the wrong size and then forgot about it....until now that is.

well I have now replaced the crystal allbeit with the wrong colour tension ring, put a new strap on and put it back together, problem is when i try to wind it up it's not engaging with anything, I can fiddle with it and pull it out and it works for a second or two but when i push it to the right place it doesn't work or it moves the hands. What have i done wrong? Or have I lost a part along the way somewhere?

Sorry i can't seem to convert the photo, cheers, Dave.

DSC_0107.NEF

Edited by Daveb
apologising.

The photo doesn't really help apart from seeing it has a calendar works. You will need to remove the movement from its case, it might be a good idea to remove the hands and dial and calendar works. From what you have described it could be parts worn or broken such as teeth or a spring , might just be a loose screw, or even rust.  As it's a Bulove I expect it has a two piece stem if the movement comes out from the front, if so you need to give it a hard pull, some pull easy and some are sods. Just be careful.     

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

The photo doesn't really help apart from seeing it has a calendar works. You will need to remove the movement from its case, it might be a good idea to remove the hands and dial and calendar works. From what you have described it could be parts worn or broken such as teeth or a spring , might just be a loose screw, or even rust.  As it's a Bulove I expect it has a two piece stem if the movement comes out from the front, if so you need to give it a hard pull, some pull easy and some are sods. Just be careful.     

Thank you oldhippy, I have followed your advice and found this loose underneath. Sorry I converted to jpeg but fails to upload, maybe too large. Sorry about the focus, new gear, no idea. :D

DSC_0108.NEF

That looks like a date jumper. I can't see where it fits, if you rest the date wheel on the plate you might be able to see where it fits, I would think there should be a fine spring that fits behind the tail of the jumper.

4 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

That looks like a date jumper. I can't see where it fits, if you rest the date wheel on the plate you might be able to see where it fits, I would think there should be a fine spring that fits behind the tail of the jumper.

Thank you, i'll have a look. Next project pocket watch, i think i need to learn a bit more about movements.