Very Interesting Story....

I saw this story originally on Yahoo! but tracked it down to the original posting here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/tag/england-color-1939

Anyway, I was looking through the photos and decided to try and find some of the locations on Google Maps to compare the two, from 1939 and today(or 2009 as the streetview date states).

I'm sure a number of you know quite a bit more of these places and locations, but as for someone outside of the UK, I focused on one of the only pictures that had reference to a specific location by way of the "Shernborne Direction Sign".

Interestingly enough, it seems that the sign had not been painted again since the time of the 1939 photo!

1939 Photo

post-90-0-03217700-1400596341_thumb.jpg

2009 Google Streetview Photo

post-90-0-77680700-1400596358_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Great story. I love that old colour stock, which had a certain, golden tinge to it. All my mother's side of the family originated from north Norfolk - traced back to the 16th century - and I love going there. A lot of it is still very rural.

What could be better !   do you think we could all put our heads together & build one ?

Now that would be some project. Parts made from all corners of the world; a bit like building an Airbus!