How do you clean the cap jewels?

your parts cleaner should do the trick.

If you dont have one.. then rinse in lighter fluid (ronsonol, zippo), rub them face down on a sheet of paper and rinse in the fluid again.

Personally I think that automatic oilers are only worth it if you spend the whole day at the workbench..everyday. If you're a hobbyist then normal oilers are good enough.

Anil

your parts cleaner should do the trick.

If you dont have one.. then rinse in lighter fluid (ronsonol, zippo), rub them face down on a sheet of paper and rinse in the fluid again.

Personally I think that automatic oilers are only worth it if you spend the whole day at the workbench..everyday. If you're a hobbyist then normal oilers are good enough.

Anil

Sometimes I clean them in my machine but find dots on them when oiling. I tried to rub them on watch paper but have shot them to Timbuktu. Any suggestions on how to rub them face down? I thought about roddico.

Diamondslayer

First, to remove the cap jewel - I use one of these "picker uppers" - they really work very well and you can't beat the price!

http://amzn.com/B00K7KEN6K

I typically drop the jewel into a small container of hairspring cleaner (one-dip) and that usually cleans them pretty well. For really dirty cases I will press the jewel very slightly into some rodico and rub with pegwood. You definitely need to be on your game. I usually do this under a stereo microscope where I can be very precise with my movements.

• Like 1

First, to remove the cap jewel - I use one of these "picker uppers" - they really work very well and you can't beat the price!

http://amzn.com/B00K7KEN6K

I typically drop the jewel into a small container of hairspring cleaner (one-dip) and that usually cleans them pretty well. For really dirty cases I will press the jewel very slightly into some rodico and rub with pegwood. You definitely need to be on your game. I usually do this under a stereo microscope where I can be very precise with my movements.

Thanks takoff!

Diamondslayer