Watch amplitude readings

My Tag heuer  (calibre 5) was running 2 minutes slow per day. It has been regulated to +- 0 seconds which I am happy about. I was sent amplitude readings of before and after regulating (see photos) Can these readings give anything away about the overall health of the watch? Or is this just useless information. I can't find much information about this online. Thanks.

20160605_190452.jpg

20160605_190511.jpg

These traces tell us several things.

1. Your watchmaker uses an old timegrapher with paper tape. These have much to commend them, but probably wouldn't satisfy the requirements for an authorised repairer. I shouldn't let this worry you, unless you paid authorised dealer prices.

2. The watch performance is only shown in one position, so you don't know if the performance will be the same in other positions. It is possible your watchmaker checked it was OK, but didn't give you the printouts.

3. 70 seconds per day is a large error and probably indicates it's time for a service rather than an adjustment.

4. The beat error is higher than would be expected, and no attempt has been made to adjust that. Also an indication it could be time for a service.

5. There are a few beats lying off the line. Typically this would be caused by dirt / dried up oil... time for a service, but I've seen worse.

6. The lines are generally straight which suggests that the train is in good condition

7. Balance amplitude is not given. This parameter is normally a helpful indicator of performance.

Cal 5 normally appears in expensive watches, so it deserves to be looked after. If it's more than 5 years since last serviced, then it's time for a deep clean, which will probably cost you £300 ish via a main dealer, or less if you care to trust your precious watch to someone else.

My Omega Constellation chronometer went back to Omega, my 60 year old Seamaster I dealt with myself, but would otherwise have gone to an independent after some research. Horses for courses!

S

16 minutes ago, StuartBaker104 said:

These traces tell us several things.

1. Your watchmaker uses an old timegrapher with paper tape. These have much to commend them, but probably wouldn't satisfy the requirements for an authorised repairer. I shouldn't let this worry you, unless you paid authorised dealer prices.

2. The watch performance is only shown in one position, so you don't know if the performance will be the same in other positions. It is possible your watchmaker checked it was OK, but didn't give you the printouts.

3. 70 seconds per day is a large error and probably indicates it's time for a service rather than an adjustment.

4. The beat error is higher than would be expected, and no attempt has been made to adjust that. Also an indication it could be time for a service.

5. There are a few beats lying off the line. Typically this would be caused by dirt / dried up oil... time for a service, but I've seen worse.

6. The lines are generally straight which suggests that the train is in good condition

7. Balance amplitude is not given. This parameter is normally a helpful indicator of performance.

Cal 5 normally appears in expensive watches, so it deserves to be looked after. If it's more than 5 years since last serviced, then it's time for a deep clean, which will probably cost you £300 ish via a main dealer, or less if you care to trust your precious watch to someone else.

My Omega Constellation chronometer went back to Omega, my 60 year old Seamaster I dealt with myself, but would otherwise have gone to an independent after some research. Horses for courses!

S

Thank you that is very helpful. The watch was bought retail in early 2012 according to the warranty book, I asked the seller if it needed servicing and he said "definitely not". He had it regulated it and sent it to me, it appeared accurate but 2 months later was losing about 2 minutes a day. He has just re-regulated it (refused to refund or service) and it is now very accurate... I'm hoping to get 12 months at least before servicing it but from what I've described you may think there is an underlying fault -- which the seller denies. Either way I regret it and I should have factored in the cost of a service when buying a watch of this age. Thanks again for your input.

4 hours ago, Rickthebrick said:

Also I know this is a DIY forum or whatever but is there anyone here that can do servicing or is there any companies endorsed by this website?

Hi Rick. Welcome to the forum. I am not a moderator, but I don't think it is allowed to sell services (or items) on the forum. I don't know about the endorsement of outside companies, but I am sure someone will chime in. 

JC

• Like 1

5 hours ago, noirrac1j said:

Hi Rick. Welcome to the forum. I am not a moderator, but I don't think it is allowed to sell services (or items) on the forum. I don't know about the endorsement of outside companies, but I am sure someone will chime in. 

JC

Joe is correct, advertising or self promotion regarding services is not permitted.

By the way this us not a DIY forum.  It is a forum open to anyone interested in horological pursuits and includes both professionals and amateurs at all levels. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Geo said:

Joe is correct, advertising or self promotion regarding services is not permitted.

By the way this us not a DIY forum.  It is a forum open to anyone interested in horological pursuits and includes both professionals and amateurs at all levels. 

OK, thanks... Anyway I've just read this article which has an interesting stance on service interims; I will just leave it until the watch becomes inaccurate. 

• Like 1