Another fantastic find!

So months ago I purchased a non-branded old pocket watch. It had a beautiful ornate silver case which I've cleaned a bit with a polishing cloth. It is a key wind and set. I decided tonight to strip it down and I just received my K&D pocket watch winders and this would be a good start. Disassembled and placed the mainspring barrel in a plastic Baggie for safety. Popped the top off and to my surprise it had a mainspring and what looked like two! 

I am new to the watch repair/service world but I don't think this is correct. If you look closely at my photo the mainspring seems to have been broken and was then pieced together and riveted back together? 

Thoughts, questions, comments are always welcomed! Normal in the day? 

image.jpeg

That is a normal fixing if you are referring to the end of your mainspring. There are other types that you will come across have a look at Marks video about how to chose and measure for a mainspring, in it he will show you the different types of end fittings and you will learn a lot on how to undertake such a task.  

I see what you mean. This would have been done by someone a long time ago who never had a replacement, if it isn't showing any sign of rubbing causing the coils to thin I would leave it alone. Expect to come across many types of repairs in your time some will be nightmares. Nice of you to point this out. I'll put my gaff down to poor eyesight.:D

it is rubbing the barrel and might be why it was loaded with grease. I think I have a Mainspring that is 2.60x.17x but the length is longer the one in there is 2.60x.18X13.25

The new one I have is going to be longer I am sure but it may not fit in the barrel.

Hmmmm....