Tool ID

chadders1966

Hi

My turn to ask ;). I bought some of the following files recently, and can't figure out the ones in the middle. From my (limited) knowledge the ones on the right have square handles and so are escapement files, the ones on the left round handles and are needles files. The escapement files are slightly smaller and finer. The ones in the middle look more like shorter broaches with the tapering handles but they seem like files to me, when you look closely you can see the teeth. They are smaller but even finer than the escapement files. One is marked Stubbs, the rest Antoine Glardon. Are they just a different style of escapement file?

20160508_111641.jpg

20160508_111647.jpg

In the lot I bought there were also these three which I can't figure out. They look like screwdrivers or holders of some kind, however as you can see the hole in the end doesn't extend into the body, just covers a few mm. Also there are no holding screws, or spaces for them, to hold anything in place. Any ideas? Thanks

20160508_103905.jpg

Stephen

The round files are called rat tail. I tend to call them all needle files, you are correct in thinking the very fine ones are mostly used for escapement work. Many needle files I used for filing and shaping clock teeth. In general files can be used for a number of things in the watch/clock making businesses.

I haven't a clue about the other tools.    

Hi

Thanks for the response. I don't believe they are rat-tail files, or at least not all of them. As far as I am aware rat-tails are always round, and nearly half of these are square. Also the teeth seem much finer than any rat-tail I have - although perhaps I just don't have any fine ones! Thanks anyway.

Stephen

Its only the round files that are rat tail the handle can be square so it holds in a handle for a better grip. I has some rat tail files that were very fine these would be used as a finishing file. There are hundreds of different needle files. I had a large draw full of the little blighters.  

Files like these are also used extensively in the jewelry trades in general. Much like jeweler saws, there is a Swiss table that lists the pattern of the file and the aggressiveness of the cut. Some files are close to being burnishers they are so fine. The three, fives, and sixes you see stamped on the files are part of that specification. 

The other items obviously are handles of some sort. Can you take some closer pictures of the tips and that notch area? It could be also that they are missing some parts.