Manky watch strap

Hi folks,

I've managed to dig up an old digital watch out of my brother's garage that he's given to me to tinker with. The problem is, due to the damp conditions in there the strap has developed spots of fungus or mold on it. Is it worth using some fungicide on it, and if so, is this likely to affect the repairability of the watch or should I replace it with a new strap?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance on what must be a weird question.

Depends on the material. No harm in trying to clean it. If it's leather clean it and put some Leather grease on it. If it's rubber it could have become brittle.Nevertheless i say go for it :) Show us a picture? Both of the watch and the strap :) Always fun to see barn finds.

Edited by rogart63
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys. I've sprayed it with some anti-fungus stuff and I'll give it a wash in the the morning. My first set of tools should be arriving in the next couple of days and I can then get to work. Just adding a photo, the cack on the strap doesnt show up so much. It appears as though it might be on the back of the watch but not the front, so fingers crossed it won't have got into the watch.

wp_20160425_20_43_55_pro.jpg