Rotor orientation

VDRKO

I'm in the early stages of learning watch repair.  I just disassembled and then reassembled a Seiko 7S26 movement.  I've been wearing the watch since the repair, but have been wearing it on my right wrist so I can compare accuracy to the watch I'm wearing on the left wrist.  Does the orientation of the watch and/or rotor affect the autowinding mechanism at all?  Should the rotor be attached at 180 degrees from what Seiko recommends if the watch is going to be worn on the right wrist?  The watch works fine, but I'm curious if there is a mechanical explanation for rotor orientation.

Hi VDRKO,

Welcome to the forum.

As for your question, there is an adjustment in which the rotor aligns with the first reduction wheel: The wheel has a hole the should face up (stem to the left) and the rotor normally has a small "finger" that should align with that hole. in fact, the center of the rotor will be 90 degrees respect to the imaginary line going through the wheel hole and the center of the movement (vertical? if you will).

The outlined adjustment is not essential for the working of the watch but it will optimize the "reserve" time. Needless to say that other than that, wearing the watch in either hand, any position, should not impact greatly in its working.

I hope this opinion works for you,

Cheers,

Bob

1 minute ago, bobm12 said:

As for your question, there is an adjustment in which the rotor aligns with the first reduction wheel: The wheel has a hole the should face up (stem to the left) and the rotor normally has a small "finger" that should align with that hole. in fact, the center of the rotor will be 90 degrees respect to the imaginary line going through the wheel hole and the center of the movement (vertical? if you will).

The outlined adjustment is not essential for the working of the watch but it will optimize the "reserve" time. Needless to say that other than that, wearing the watch in either hand, any position, should not impact greatly in its working.

More exactly, the hole on the first reduction wheel should align with the nearest brass post when the center of the rotor is at either 3, that is is the "arm down" position when watch is worn on the left arm.

Seiko recommends this setting but don't stress changing that depending on the arm wearing the watch, or if the crown is at 3H or 4H. I like to do it anyway but as Bob mentioned, it won't matter anyway,.

Thanks for the answers to my question.  I think I'll leave things be as I will eventually return the watch to its rightful place on my left wrist.  I appreciate the advice and look forward to further opportunities to ask the forum questions!