How To Remove A Rusty Spring Bar?

Hi mark, I have this diver watch whom which i used it as a daily beater. Its has been with on my wrist during shower almost on a daily basis (tap water of course! Not water heater) and the spring bar is somewhat rusty. The rust has also causes the spring bar to thinner. After seeing that, i know i must do something with it as im afraid if constant wearing the watch with a broken spring bar, imagine the spring bar just broke and the watch land on the ground hard and causes the case tube to broke! So i use the screwdriver and try to open as i dont own the correct size of the fork style spring bar tool and with all my might, i managed to remove 1 spring bar out of 2. Do you think its a good idea to soak it in acid like maybe lemon or something to dissolve the spring bar? Thank you very much. 

Depends on the fitting - if I can get my cutters in I would snip it off.

Thank you. You're right. Unfortunately i dont have the watch with me now. Its in my office. I shall try on friday since today is labour day! If it couldnt get in, what are the methods would you use apart from this? Filing?

• Like 1

A screw slot file, or a fret saw with a fine blade should do it.

Thank you for your reply but sorry for my incompetence, but how would a fret saw with a fine blade would do it since the watch case is attached to a metal bracelet? Thank you. And also may i also check with you what kind of waterproof grease you use to apply on the crown tube like the one video where you change the omega battery and you apply some silicon grease on the crown tube? Was it made by bergeon?

You did not mention the kind of strap on the watch - I was just trying to describe a few strategies I would adopt depending on the circumstances :)

https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/consumables/silicon-greases/grease-seiko-silicon#select

Oh I see :) thank you for the link! Appreciate it :) I guess I will file it. As you know the spring bar have the edge for you to use the fox style spring bar tool to slip through and push it backwards in order to release the spring bar but in my case it doesn't have the edge. Mine spring bar is beyond recognition. May I also ask the hand removers lever style that you used to remove the small tiny hand from the chronograph subdial is which model? It's from horotec but I'm not sure is which. In your video I've seen you own both lever style one which is flat bladed where the other have a v shape. And the v shape you mainly used it to remove the tiny hands. Thank you. I'm sorry to bother you :) you're very helpful :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There you go:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOROTEC-WATCH-HAND-LIFTING-LEVERS-2-5mm-/260653799808?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_WatchAccessories_SpareParts_SM&hash=item3cb02d5980

:)

You will likely see them cheaper elsewhere but thats what I like to use as they have a very polished surface unlike the Bergeon ones. But my Bergeon levers are now highly polished - I used Micromesh Polishing cloths to bring them up to a mirror finish just like the Horotecs.

• Like 1

There you go:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOROTEC-WATCH-HAND-LIFTING-LEVERS-2-5mm-/260653799808?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_WatchAccessories_SpareParts_SM&hash=item3cb02d5980

:)

You will likely see them cheaper elsewhere but thats what I like to use as they have a very polished surface unlike the Bergeon ones. But my Bergeon levers are now highly polished - I used Micromesh Polishing cloths to bring them up to a mirror finish just like the Horotecs.

Thanks a lot! 

You will likely see them cheaper elsewhere

Holy crap. Cheaper elsewhere indeed. £46 for 2 small metal levers… Watchmaking tool pricing  from the high-end brands is pretty crazy.

In some cases it might be worth it, but in other cases I doubt it. You can get the same tool for £3. Is the Horotec really worth 1500% extra?

You can get the same tool for £3. Is the Horotec really worth 1500% extra?

I certainly agree with you that a lot of horological tools are well overpriced, but the levers that you have indicate here are certainly not the same as the Horotec ones. I know because I bought a set a while ago. They do have there uses and are good value for money, but they are not as fine and are not suitable for really small hands unless you modify then.

I have made a set like the Horotec, all that is required is two small bits of 3mm silver steel turned down slightly at the end then formed on a grinder. Finish off with a good polish and job done. Cost about 50 pence!