Rusty Hairspringz

• 4 weeks later...

Notice this is risky.

When all else fails you could dip the hairspring in white vinegar for a few minutes, then dip in a solution of baking soda and water to deactivate the acid in the vinegar.

Then clean the hairspring in watch cleaning solution.

Most of the rust will come off. This will however change the timing of the hairspring to and extent.

If the timing changes you can add some weight to the wheel with timing washers.

Also when there is a rusty stubborn plate screw you can mix white vinegar with petrolioun jelly and apply the jelly on the top the stubborn screw and wait a few days.

The screw will become a mass of brown poop. you will have to replace the screw.

The reason for using the greese is so the vinegar does not spred into the gear train or other steel parts.

Also when there is a rusty stubborn plate screw you can mix white vinegar with petrolioun jelly and apply the jelly on the top the stubborn screw and wait a few days.

The screw will become a mass of brown poop. you will have to replace the screw.

The reason for using the greese is so the vinegar does not spred into the gear train or other steel parts.

Will this mix not attack the brass main plate?

Only in a small way, it not a first line of attack, but when all else fails it works fine.

The brass is not a ferrous metal, at worse the plating on the brass may come off.

But when you have a rusted screw that will not come out you'll find this works very well.

A few years back I got a Patek in for repair that was forgotten in a fishing box for 10 years!

Ever plate screw in the movement was rusted solid!  Did the vinegar thing and rotted out

all the screws.

With that done I was able to repair the movement.

Yes when I was done repairing the movement

Train wheels, setting wheels, balance etc.

the movement lost most of its plating ( that is it became a brass colored movement) but considering

Patek in NYC refused the repair it was a small price to pay to get the watch running again.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information Horology, I have a movement that is requiring this treatment. It's a couple of projects down the line, but I will give it a go. :-)

How could anyone forget that they had a Patek!!!!!

Edited by Geo

Thanks for the information Horology, I have a movement that is requiring this treatment. It's a couple of projects down the line, but I will give it a go. :-)

How could anyone forget that they had a Patek!!!!!

It was a lady who's husband is the cousin of George Bush, real rich, to them it was nothing