Do I re-oil after taking a watch apart after service?

A pretty basic question, but I can't seem to find any advice on the subject.  I'm fairly new to watch repair, so I'm still at the phase of asking basic questions.  My question is this:  I disassembled a pocket watch, cleaned it, reassembled it and oiled it.  The next day, I discovered a problem that required me to remove one of the bridges.  After I reinstall the bridge I just removed, do I oil the affected jewel holes again?

If you were careful with oiling it in the first place and you have put it together again providing there is oil in the sinks there is no need. You don`t want oil running all over the place.  The trick is not to over oil.

Edited by oldhippy

Sometimes just to be sure i don't overoil i clean of the "old" oil with a dip in Naptha or IPA . And some Rodico after: maybe overdoing but i now there isn't to much oil .

Edited by rogart63

Either way will work as long as you oil it properly, i.e. not too much and where it belongs. You can put back the part since it is already clean and oiled or you can clean it again and oil it again (I prefer to do the last option in order to prevent possible contamination while manipulating, but I've also done it the other way). The whole point is: are you satisfied with the end result (not contaminated, perfect oil and everything in order) if done either way?

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1