Oily hazy film under crystal.

1 hour ago, steven said:

It baffles me too! Seiko watches are very prone to it. It happens to some new Seiko watches in my showcase which are unsold after sometime.

I handled about 100 Seiko in the last 6 months, most were new or about that. None exhibited this problem.

I suspect there may be a problem with the crown seal -- dry or insufficient lube on gasket or similar -- on watches that have been sitting for a while.

In many cases, Seikos and some Orient watches, the amount of lube I've found inside, right out of the factory, is almost as if the movement was swimming in grease...no wonder it fogs the dial...fumes?

I thought of inferior oil(s) but the one I cleaned the film seemed very dry. Could it be a gas inferior oil lets out leaving a residue on the crystal & anywhere else for that matter ?

Edited by SCOTTY

Could be. Some of the greases used by Seiko et al. are kind of different from the Moebius we normally work with. I keep using Seiko stuff with Seiko et al. and Swiss with everything else....I do have a couple of movements (Seiko derivatives) with that problem too. Still, I suspect it is a combination seal with oil on worst case scenarios...but I haven't tested the watches yet.