Why A Graver Don't Cut ?

syfre

Here is a picture with four graver :

post-1641-0-83719300-1458491192_thumb.jp

From the left :

A tungsten carbide graver from Eternal tools ; cut pretty well

A "I don't known from where" HSS graver; as it was in bad shape i re-grind it and sharpen it ; it's amazing, cut steel like butter.

A 4 mm graver i made from a Chinese HSS steel bar ; cut pretty well, better than the carbide

A 3 mm graver i made from the same Chinese seller another HSS steel bar ; looks perfect, good angle, flat and pretty sharp;  but cut absolutely nothing.

The 4mm and 3mm was made with the same method (excellent video from perplex on youtube) and look identical, one cut and the other not.

Any idea of what could be wrong with the 3 mm ? (except that it's a chinese hss piece of  ... )

They will al cut if sharpened correctly. The difference I have found is the better quality gravers stay sharp for a longer period. I have not purchased a carbide because they re very difficult to sharpen.

see below.

I know this video. I had sharpened it several time and even re-grind it but it never cut. Probably my work it's not perfect  but the other one work pretty fine. May be it had overheat during the process. I have an other bar of this stuff and would try to made an other.

For sharpening carbide you need diamond wheels.

There are amazing diamond coated wheels from jura tools :

but expensive and not easy to locate.