A Question About Omega

this falls under the other thread about watch value - sort of.

hopefully someone will know the answer to this question. i have been looking on and off at the vintage omega watches. i have noticed that when it's listed as "omega geneve" the auction doesn't usually start as high as it does when "geneve" is not in the listing. it doesn't usually sell for as much either.

can someone tell me why that would be the case? is it something like "harley davidson AMF"?

I found this on the net I think it answers your question.

Just as Geneva is a more specific location than Switzerland, the designation "Geneve" is a more exacting mark of prestige given to watches by the Bureau de controle des Montres de Geneva. To qualify, in addition to matching all the above criterion for a Swiss watch, it must have had one of its major manufacturing steps take place within the Canton of Geneva. The theory is that at least 50% percent of the manufacturing costs will have been incurred "locally," protecting the trade and ensuring quality assembly.

strange. that would seem to make them want to be more desireable instead of what i've been finding. the "geneve" omegas don't seem to demand as much money. i've not a formal count, but anecdotally i find that you can get the "geneve" watches cheaper.

The Geneve range of watches in the 60's and 70's where affordable watches placed at the lower end of the price range in the Omega line up where as the top of the line Omegas where chronometer rated or cased in gold the geneve watches rarely where with a few exceptions the main aim was to be affordable but still have the quality of other watches in the range just not all the bells and whistles.

I cant think of any equivalent range in todays line up as Omega seem to have taken the view that all their watches should be unaffordable :D

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.