Watch Quality And Values?

On 2/27/2016 at 9:04 AM, stroppy said:

Very nice!  What's the number/type of the movement?

I know this post is a little late Stroppy but I did find out a little more about this watch via a forum on Facebook. Someone indicated the following:

" These Zaria 3105s were made for a very brief period c. 2010-2011. I bought one new for about $65, then Maktime discontinued the movement and the prices skyrocketed. Wish I had bought more. "

" Zaria became part of the Maktime watch group in the 2000s, so they shared movements. When MakTime discontinued the 31XX series, all values went up. The watch I bought for $65 couldn't be had new for less than $150 a year later. Of course used watches lose value, but $29 for a recent 3105-based watch is a steal. The movement is bulletproof. "

Edited by mcass

This reminds me also of another question. Now that I have had this watch for about a month now, something interesting has happened which is kind of funny. One of the reasons this particular one caught my eye is because of the red hands on the black dial. As I have had it for a little while I have noticed that the red of the hands is disappearing and showing an original gold hand.It appears that whoever had this watch had actually taken like a felt tip marker and colored the hands red. It still looks sharp with gold but I do like the red better. So with that said my two questions: 1) Is it possible to paint the hands and is so how?, and 2) would doing so negatively affect the value?

10 minutes ago, mcass said:

This reminds me also of another question. Now that I have had this watch for about a month now, something interesting has happened which is kind of funny. One of the reasons this particular one caught my eye is because of the red hands on the black dial. As I have had it for a little while I have noticed that the red of the hands is disappearing and showing an original gold hand.It appears that whoever had this watch had actually taken like a felt tip marker and colored the hands red. It still looks sharp with gold but I do like the red better. So with that said my two questions: 1) Is it possible to paint the hands and is so how?, and 2) would doing so negatively affect the value?

Haha, I remember watching some guy on youtube painting his watch hands with a sharpie.

For a red second hand, I think your only options are to either paint it red with model paint or completely replace it with a red second hand. The sharpie probably gave it a more electro plated effect though, and I doubt that could be done on the cheap or for you to find someone willing to do it.

For value, it depends on what the watch is.

• Like 1

I have had a few custom jobs in recently whereas painting some of the hands was required, not for the faint hearted!  Took a while to mix the paint right, and get it to flow onto the hand with a good enough finish ready for the final clear coat.

• Like 1

Re filled/rolled gold.  I have a rolled gold Omega Semaster Auto which I have owned since new and that is now 50 years old and the gold is still in excellent condition with no signs of wearthrough.  A few dings here and there though!  I have worn it probably 60% of its age so the gold has fared very well considering I was quite carefree with it when I first got it.

Thanks so much for the advice. I may give it a go at some point. On another note.... I tried to repair my first watch a few weeks ago and got as far as having it completely disassembled.  It was a Fossil Skeleton mechanical. At this point Im thinking its trash (or a parts source for future repairs). I say this because while I thought it would be a good one to try for a first, I think I was terribly mistaken. After watching a few more videos, it seems to me that skeletons pose there own set of problems because it can be quite difficult to see how the components all go back together. I have an M9 Bulova Oceanographer that isnt running anymore and am thinking that movement is probably easier to work on. Would I be correct with that assessment?

Just a note...when taking the other one apart, I did keep all the parts in order that they were removed and put them in egg cartons to make the assembly easier. However towards the end I had three pieces basically fall out when I didnt intend for them too and so I did not see exactly how or where they fit.....hence an additional part of the problem.

Disassembling a movement is a comparatively easy process and, as you say, keeping all the parts in a logical order is an excellent idea. One other tip, if you can spare the time, is to photograph each stage of the disassembly, bit by bit, with notes, using a macro lens or macro setting on your point and click. Then, when the time comes to reassemble, you have a visual record of what goes where and when by working backwards through the pics to your starting point.

And, when you've done all that, you'll have a lovely walkthrough to post on the forum!

:thumbsu:

Well I got started on the Bulova 11BLC.  Unfortunately I didnt get far. Removed the movement, removed the hands, and then went to remove the dial and I didnt have a screwdriver small enough.Had to stop. I need more tools!!! When I get them I'll update on progress.