Omega 18Spb Lift Angle

Chainstay

As I am a gear-freak I just bought a timegrapher to test my watches (and my skills) after servicing.

I also just bought a pocket-watch on an internet auction, rather cheap I think, and I believe its equipped with an Omega 18SPB-movement.

Now I need to know the lift angle. It needs servicing and I really would like to have a before-and-after assessment of the movement.

Does anyone on this superb forum know the lift angle? I did search the internet of course but couldn't find it.

Besides that I'm planning to get in into adjusting my watches meaning hairspring work and so on (starting of course with inexpensive movements).

Pauli

As I am a gear-freak I just bought a timegrapher to test my watches (and my skills) after servicing.

Do not worry too much about it. Even if you leave the default of 52° the instrument will still indicate daily rate and beat error, and show the general pattern correctly. Amplitude is only affect very slightly by having set the wrong angle, as you you can find yourself easily. Edited by jdm

Thanks, I'm satisfied with knowing that it doesn't mean a lot on determining daily rate and beat error.

And syfre: I have been watching this video, but I don't think the timegrapher I bought

s-l500.jpg

has the same features regarding calculating the lift angle by fixing the amplitude? (to be honest I don't really know because I haven't got it yet). Even if it is a feature I think it's a rather complicated way if someone had the correct figure (lazy as always).

but I don't think the timegrapher I bought

has the same features regarding calculating the lift angle by fixing the amplitude? (to be honest I don't really know because I haven't got it yet). Even if it is a feature I think it's a rather complicated way if someone had the correct figure (lazy as always).

No it doesn't do that. It's a very basic model.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same device and I can tell you, it works. Use the  menu/speaker button to jump into the menu, where you can adjust the lift angle. Nevertheless it's not that easy to use, as you always have to leave the menu and go back again until the value of the amplitude is ok.

Pit

I have the same device and I can tell you, it works. Use the  menu/speaker button to jump into the menu, where you can adjust the lift angle. Nevertheless it's not that easy to use, as you always have to leave the menu and go back again until the value of the amplitude is ok.

I stand corrected, the method in the video works with any timegrapher.

However, for a movement under test is it very difficult to visually determine the amplitude at which it is oscillating without using a slow motion camera. For example the video says to bring the amplitude to 180°, but from my observation they brought to approx 175°.

Edited by jdm