Watchmakers Lathe

madchops67

I saw this on the Bay for $200 and never got an answer for the size coletts which now I think are 8mm. It's a American Watch Tool Co. Lathe, and when the seller dropped the price down to $149.00.... I had to pick it up. Can't wait till it gets here considering its my first...this is my. gift from my girl [emoji173] Anybody know about that chuck on the tail? 69ddf9a054cd6a081a11562a18c097eb.jpg1bdc0fd8b8d071b6dd709df9421745a1.jpga559e5532d64cf6506bda725786b30ff.jpg96c2832eae18eb3404c392d3167e416a.jpg364958b5885080b8d0a3384ccb19ac3c.jpg244798157550f155011773b2c71e65fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

The collets have different screw threads so you will need to know what the manufacturer of the lathe was. Providing the bearings are OK it could be a good buy.

Clockboy, Thanks for the information. The seller listed the lathe and motor as working condition and as should, he also tested the speeds of the motor. As far as the collets I was given a link to a thread on this page referring me to a great page with information about the collets and other lathes with the same manufacturer. Can't wait to start turning blue steel and practicing.

The collets have different screw pitches so you will need to know who the manufacturer of the lathe was. Providing the bearings are OK it could be a good buy.

There is a comparison chart for the collets available on the net see below link.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/collets/

Clockboy, that link you gave me serves well and I could definitely use it...thanks again!

Ok when up & running check for play in the bearings & also check that the two ends are centred with each other. This is really important also check this book out I found it really useful

The Watchmaker's and Model Engineer's Lathe

by Donald De Carle

Ok when up & running check for play in the bearings & also check that the two ends are centred with each other. This is really important also check this book out I found it really useful

The Watchmaker's and Model Engineer's Lathe

by Donald De Carle

I'll make sure to check that. Also, thanks for all the information...very much appreciate it. I will keep you posted.

Yowza!

If this machine is functional, has good bearings and lines up well, you got a real deal. So what if it's over 100 years old :-) At $dayjob, we have some production machines that are still in use that are almost that old.

I hope that if I do need to replace the bearings, I can find them. As to how old it's is, I don't have a clue. And the chuck on the tail I've never seen....still new to these

• 3 weeks later...

If the end is split & tightens then it is a button or crown chuck. If it does not tighten then it is a box chuck that takes a wax chuck shaft.

The size of the collet suggests it is for a Boley 6 1/2 mm (0.213") or a Wolf Jahn 6 1/2 mm (0.212").

• Like 1

If the end is split & tightens then it is a button or crown chuck. If it does not tighten then it is a box chuck that takes a wax chuck shaft.

The size of the collet suggests it is for a Boley 6 1/2 mm (0.213") or a Wolf Jahn 6 1/2 mm (0.212").

Clockboy thanks for the info, I'm going to do some research and see if I can locate some. It's a real small lathe.

Clockboy thanks for the info, I'm going to do some research and see if I can locate some. It's a real small lathe.

Clockboy, seems like those 6.5 mm collets are going to be a hard to come by. So I'll just keep an eye out for a good set on ebay, but the lathe and motor are good to go...everything is lubricated. Thanks again! 3569e124d7a8e1739d655a342fca1bb9.jpg

Clockboy, seems like those 6.5 mm collets are going to be a hard to come by. So I'll just keep an eye out for a good set on ebay, but the lathe and motor are good to go...everything is lubricated. Thanks again! 3569e124d7a8e1739d655a342fca1bb9.jpg

I like the nice solid bed of the lathe. I would contact http://pennyfarthingtools.co.uk

He normally has lots of collets in stock. The guys name is Macomb. He does not keep his web site up to date so contact is the best way.

• Like 1

I like the nice solid bed of the lathe. I would contact http://pennyfarthingtools.co.uk

He normally has lots of collets in stock. The guys name is Macomb. He does not keep his web site up to date so contact is the best way.

Thanks again Clockboy for the information. I contacted them via email and let them know what I'm looking for...so hopefully they'll give me a good response.