Hamilton 992

maz

Hello All,

I was working on a Hamilton 992 Pocket watch and noticed that the lower balance jewel assembly had a cracked hole jewel. (picture attached)

The question is, do I have to buy the assembly or can I push out the jewel and replace it?

Thanks,

Maz

post-1609-0-78256900-1454495225_thumb.jp

The ideal would be to replace the entire assembly just make sure you get a jewel corresponds to your pivots size. Or if you can't find one you could remove the old jewel which is burnished in burnish in a new jewel except where you going to find a burnished in jewel? The modern jewels have square edges the burnished in jewels have rounded edges. Then because no one's ever going to see it you could use ream out the hole to fit a modern jewel providing there's enough brass to do it. Fortunately 992's are really common and it should be relatively easy to find another jewel to fit. Then if you're really obsessed you could actually make a new brass setting and friction in a new jewel. Which sometimes happens if the setting doesn't have enough brass left to friction in a modern jewel.

Let us know how you get on, Maz. You're lucky that you're in the US, where 992 parts are more common than over here in the UK. I've had cracked jewels in a 992B and had to send it over to a friend in Buffalo to get it sorted out!