Inherited Watches - 1 Of 2 - Seiko 5M43

dvlstx

Greetings!

I have recently inherited a number of watches from my late Father In Law.  2 of these watches are mechanical movements which I have wanted for a number of years.  However, each of them have some issues.  

I have never worked on one of these watches before, but am wanting to learn. I do not have the money to have them repaired as our 2 sets of twins seem to eat the extra money we have in food.  

So, here is the first one.

It is a Seiko Kinetic 5m43.  However, the issue with this one is that it does not hold a charge.  I did the fast start as the manual suggested, and wore it all day, however, at about 12:30 it stopped.  The charge only seems to last for a few hours.  

From what I have read, it might be a capacitor issue, but I do not know.  

On the basics, I was first trying to figure out how to take off the back of the watch.  Does it screw on, push on, etc...

Thank you in advance for any assistance/advice you can give.  I have attached 2 pictures of the watch for reference.

Thanks

Jon

post-1773-0-03354000-1453751259_thumb.jp

post-1773-0-53069400-1453751550_thumb.jp

From what I have read, it might be a capacitor issue, but I do not know.  

On the basics, I was first trying to figure out how to take off the back of the watch.  Does it screw on, push on, etc...

Note you have a quartz watch powered by wrist movement, not a mechanical watch. 

Yes you need to replace the capacitor, you will get an Lithium Titanium battery which is the functional equivalent, type SC3023.5MZ

To open the back you need a simple tool or you can try first with a friction ball. Enter "caseback opening" on youtube or any other source.

Edited by jdm

Thank you for the additional information.  What is the best source to purchase the capacitor?  And in the absence of a friction ball, what could work to try?

Just search on google and buy from the seller that you like better.

To work on watches you need specific tools, otherwise when improvising you risk to damage the piece.

Edited by jdm

Also, this type of movement requires disassembly to get to the capacitor and the plate covering the capacitor tends to shoot the retaining screws to the next galaxy so if you have no experience working with watches you are in for a challenge.

• Like 2