Rolex Pocket Watch

steven

I'm not familiar with pocket watches as they seldom come my way. Hope to get more information on this Rolex pocket watch that is on my bench now with a broken mainspring. I've searched the Internet but not much information e.g. Lift angle, spare parts, caliber. The number "100" is found in a few places, under the balance cock and under the three other cocks too. If this is the caliber number, I can't find any reference on the Internet. How do I locate parts for this movement?

Is this really a Rolex pocket watch as "Illinois Watch Case Co. Elgin U.S.A." is written on the case? No name is on the dial except "Swiss Made". Could it be a Franken pocket watch?

(I've resized the pic to medium, hopefully it's the right size?)

6f5753bcf82abd4c5ac16e90d0deac87.jpg

a95f4bde781c6786cadcdf02c334d7cf.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, clockboy. Measurement from the broken mainspring is 2.8x14x0.2x460mm. The only one close is GR6999 from cousins.

So, is the caliber Revue 30 and not Rolex 100? It's confusing. Revue and Rolex are the same?

Thanks, clockboy. Measurement from the broken mainspring is 2.8x14x0.2x460mm. The only one close is GR6999 from cousins.

So, is the caliber Revue 30 and not Rolex 100? It's confusing. Revue and Rolex are the same?

I don,t know I just found this on the net; It looks the same !!!!

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?106445-Need-help-identifying-an-antique-pocket-watch-Swiss-Made

Sourcing pocket watch parts is difficult & the spring fitted is most likely not correct. The GR number I quoted are in the GR book for watches of 19".

If it is the only fault I would fit a new mainspring & just service the watch.

Here is a link to workout the length of spring you will require:

http://www.nawcc-index.net/CalcMainspringLength.php

There normally is a string off numbers somewhere either on the watch or case which will guide you to the year of manufacture.

• Like 2

It's a Cyma Tavannes Cal 705 or  Cal 707 15j

see here :

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Cyma_705

I don't think it's was ever used by Rolex even if the "Complete watch guide" show a similar movement used by Rolex (but a 17j 3adj with cam regulator)

Yours movement is not adjusted and not finished on the dial plate, and comes in an Elgin case ; so, in my opinion (but i 'm not a Rolex expert) , it's not from a Rolex, it's a fake.

Sorry

There is a pic in my prices guide book showing a Rolex pocket watch that looks the same as the original pic Steven posted so I presumed it was genuine. 

I have never come across a fake Rolex pocket watch but theres always a first time.

Also found this on the net and it looks the same.

http://www.antique-watch.com/product-21-w9304.html

I don,t know I just found this on the net; It looks the same !!!!

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?106445-Need-help-identifying-an-antique-pocket-watch-Swiss-Made

Thanks again clockboy. The link provided by you cleared the air of confusion. So Revue had been supplying movements to others without their mark on it. And identification is by the look of the movement.

This movement on my bench, might not a Rolex after all. But what does "Rolex Lever" means then?

Edited by steven

Thanks Syfre for the very interesting link. I replied before reading it which explains about the early Rolex pocket watches. Didn't know that Rolex was started as a marketing company in London before moving to Switzerland to become a maker.

To set the record right, the broken mainspring measurement is 2.8x17x0.2x460mm.

GR6999 is 2.8x16.5x0.2x540mm. Will the extra length, filling up more space inside the barrel, shorten the power reserve?

on the "100" marked on several parts, it was common practice to mark he bits with the last three digits of the serial number to avoid getting parts mixed up.

As this watch does not have a serial number apparent the 100 might just be a fictitious number to track of the bits.

Anil

Excellent, Dirk. I believe this cross checking system is much needed when repairing pocket watches as a wrong size mainspring may be used in the previous service. Thank you.

Edited by steven